STDs Expert Forum
STDs and escorts

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STDs and escorts
Hello Doctor,

I want to have sex with an escort, and was wondering was if there are any statistics as to the prevalence of stds in that population, specifically HSV-2. Is it dangerous to have sex with an escort in terms of contracting a disease? Suppose I wore a condom and kept my boxer shorts on. Would this make the risk of transmission very low?

Thanks in advance.
Sex wearing boxer shorts???  There's definitely a health risk if you do that:  the escort might die laughing.  I don't mean to belittle your concerns, but really.  If you're that concerned about the risks, I suggest not having sex with an escort.

In any case, wearing underwear would not further reduce the otherwise near-zero risk of sex with a condom.  There are no data on the prevalence of HSV-2 in escorts, to my knowledge.

HHH, MD
Why the boxers?  Just wear the condom and you will be fine.  Jeez.
I meant boxer shorts in addition to a condom. My thinking being that this would further protect surrounding areas whereas a condom only protects ones penis.
I have a question about your comment:

"the otherwise near-zero risk of sex with a condom."

Is it true that sex with a condom is sufficient to protect against HSV-2? I was under the impression that one could still contract it to other areas exposed such as the inner thighs.

Thanks.
If you are this worried before hand, dont do it...you will be flipping out afterwards for sure.
My guess is that over 95% of escorts have HSV2.  Boxers would prevent additional skin to skin contact in the genital region.  Boxers will give you better piece a mind and make it a little bit safer.  This will make it a more enjoyable experience.  Who cares if you look a little weird?  Suit up soldier.
95% of sex workers have HSV2? No way. Even in the general population it's only around 25%. So I did a little reading, and it looks like the general consensus is around 30, maybe 35% of sex workers in the US have HSV2.

To the original poster: The fact that you're even considering wearing boxer shorts (or whatever) suggests that you have considerable anxiety and concern about this event and about STDs in general. I'm not saying seeing a sex worker is a bad idea, but I'm wondering if this is really the right step for you right now. Depending on why this is important to you, have you considered talking with a sex therapist first?
Get protected oral and a handjob then you have absolutely no chance of getting anything at all.
There is no way that 95% of escorts have HSV-2.  It cannot be that high.

HHH, MD
My suggestion is do it the old fashioned way and get up some confidence to meet a nice girl.  Escorts are trouble and can get you into trouble.  Dont get caught with your pants down!
Doc, I think the percentage of HSV2 infection in prostitutes would be very high.  A trip to Vegas or TJ with ten BioKits could find out.  Pay them $20 for blood instead of head.  I'd fund that scientific study.
From what I read, at least one study showed it's around 35% in San Francisco. Hardly 95%+.

As for testing, well, testing 10 sex workers isn't even a drop in the bucket, and would be utterly pointless. How could you possibly extrapolate the percentage of women with HSV2 from such a tiny sample? Besides, who cares? I think your concept of the prevalence and seriousness of STDs is way over the top. As far as I'm concerned, it's just not that big of a deal. Certainly not worth this much worrying :-)
A related discussion, Escort first time, last time, never again im scared to death was started.