STDs Expert Forum
STDs from Oral sex and menses or other blood

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I was damn foolish 3 nights ago I gave and received unprotected oral sex with a sex worker girl. Later while having protected intercourse I noticed a bit of blood from her vagina. My concern is what are the chances I may have contracted some type of STD when I was performing orasl sex on her and may have ingested a bit of blood. Is the risk of STD the same had there been no blood (i.e. if she has something and I did oral on her could I get an STD from her vaginal secretions alone?) How soon can I get tested for the different types of STDs. I realize from some reading that the blood may not have been menstrual necessarily but possibly a symptom of chlamydia or gonorrhea. I understand from this forum that transmission of HIV/AIDS or hepatitis B or C is unheard of in this way. A bit after I noticed the blood I noticed a small bandage on the inside of an arm and caused be to suspect drug use, obviously common in her line of work. Needless to say I am a bit freaked out as to the risk I have put myself in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum. You raise a good question that I'll be happy to address.  As you imply, the presence of blood in vaginal secretions in no way changes risk for acquisition of any STD.  I think most people freak out a bit when they see vaginal blood but whether it is menstrual or related to irritation and thus a sign of chlamydia or gonorrhea, the risk of STD acquisition is not changed.

Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) are transmitted through receipt of oral sex; chlamydia is not.  In performing oral sex or her, the only bacterial infection you might have caught in your throat is gonorrhea.  Without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner’s mouth, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny.   Finally, as you suggest, there is no appreciable risk of hepatitis or HIV from giving or receiving unprotected oral sex.

Now at this time, you can get tested for gonorrhea, NGU and oral gonorrhea and get reliable test results.

I hope these comments are helpful for you. EWH
I should also add that the girl had 2 or 3 smallish scabs on the main part of her lips. Thanks for your help.
That is (re above comment) the lips of her mouth. Her vagina etc. were pristine.
Thanks, this answer is very helpful and reassuring. I'm addition though, as I mentioned in the follow up comments earlier the girl did, as I recall, have 2 or 3 smallish scabs on the middle of the lips of her mouth. Could be syphilis??? Are the chances still low? Can I test for that also now at this time?
No, scabbed lesions are unlikely to be syphilis, otherwise I would have mentioned it. They could have been healing cold sores.  Blood testing for syphilis is really not reliable until at least a month to 6 weeks after exposure.  As for herpes, there is no need for testing.  If you got HSV you will develop lesions within 10-14 days of exposure.  EWH
Thanks again.