STDs Community
STDs from public toilet water splash up?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I just got back from a vacation in europe where I used ALOT of public toilets.  For women, we have to deal with the annoying matter of toilet water splash up when we go pee.  Unfortunately, in europe some of the plumbing is not up to par so you're stuck using a toilet that doesn't flush and has the remains of urine from past users. Totally gross, I know, but where else can you go pee if thats the only bathroom available?  Anyway, my main question is that a couple of times, when the toilet bowl was full of urine, there was splash back onto my thighs and genital region.  Is there any reason for me to be concerned about contracting genital herpes or genital warts from urine that is already in the bowl?  I was going through the forum and found something similar, where a Dr. said that these viruses can't live in urine, but then I've found other info that saays it can.  Has anyone ever come across this?  Thanks for this great forum!!
You can not get an STD from a toilet seat or toilet water.
I understand that you can't get an STD from a toilet seat or toilet water.  I'm wondering if you can get it from the urine that was left in these toilet bowls that splashed up in between my legs?  

I know that genital herpes can live in warm, wet environments for awhile.  Also, these are toilets that were public so there would be lines of women using them and then I would have to use it right after the person in front of me, so this is urine that was just deposited in the bowls.  Could there be a risk for genital herpes, if someone was having an outbreak, there urine passed through and touched their sores, and then was living in their urine in the toilet bowl?
STD's are not passed through urine.
Yes, you should be concerned...but not from STD's or public toilets.  You need to see a doctor about your OCD...seriously...do yourself a favor.  
I constantly worry abt the same thing, urine contaminated splash back. I don't know what you can catch, I think the best thing you can do is talk to your Dr next time you visit. Voice your concens and they will set your mind at ease. I had to use two pretty gross toilets today while I was travelling and I swear I've caught a urinrey track infection! I don't know if that's possible, but I think I'm going to have to visit my Dr! Good luck!
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers