STDs Community
STDs penetrate latex condoms, say studies?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

On the internet there are studies that even men who always use condoms for oral or vaginal sex can contract chlamydia and other STDs.  If there are no tears, leaks or slippage, and if no uncovered part of the penis touches one's partner's mouth or genitals, can this happen?  Can STD viruses penetrate latex?

DG
Why don't you post your sources so you can get an accurate response.  Though latex condoms are extremely effective, nothing but abstinance is 100% protection against std's.
Hi, I agree - these and other sources claim that the latex itself is impermeable yet real-life studies show that even using a condom does not always protect against chlamydia, syphilis, herpes and HIV, largely because of contact with parts of the genitals not covered by the condom.  On top of that, you can get syphilis just from mouth to mouth kissing.   I'm nervous because I was recently with a couple of sex workers in Germany (where it's legal and the girls are tested weekly) and thought I did everything by the book and yet still....looks like there's a chance I got something.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/159/3/242

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/communicable/std/condomefficacy.aspx

The issues with real life studies is people. People might not put on the condom correctly, it might break and is not reported, it might not be used but say it is used.
If you use a condom correctly everytime you really have no worry. The FDA is not going to allow something on the market if it only works 80% of the time. If used correctly I bet the number is somewhere closer to 99% of the time.

Syphilis is rare in developed countries and rare in women and reven rarer to get from kissing, do not be worried about syphilis.

The only STD's you can get from direct skin contact is syphilis and herpes. HIV, chlymida and others you have to have fluids make it up the uretha, which is why condoms work so well.

So my personal opinion is the research is flawed due to people and keep using condoms and you will have little to worry about.

The Dr's on this site agree that condoms work.
"these and other sources claim that the latex itself is impermeable yet real-life studies show that even using a condom does not always protect against chlamydia, syphilis, herpes and HIV, largely because of contact with parts of the genitals not covered by the condom"  

Those are your own words.  Pay attention to the last part.  People sometimes rub their genitals together before penetration.  If there is no clothing, and both parties are aroused, then yes, there is a chance although pretty low.  I don't consider that protected sex.
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers