STDs Expert Forum
Saliva and STD's
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Saliva and STD's

Can STD's be transmitted through saliva used as a Lubricant during a hand job?  It was a handjob from a stripper/hooker in Jamaica, a lapse in judgement while drunk on a bachelor party.  I had received a lap dance and was offered sex and declined.  Offered a ******* with a condom, which took place for a minute or so.  Then the condom was removed and saliva was used as a lubricant for a handjob.  Do I have anything to worry about?  or am I just paranoid and driving myself crazy?  My clothes were on during the lap dance and her genitals never touched mine.  I was pretty drunk, but I am pretty sure I made no contact (with hands or anything else) with her genitals.  

What do you think?  Is there anything I should be worried about?  

Thanks
Related Discussions
239123_tn?1267651214
Welcome to the forum.

The quick answer is no:  STDs are rarely transmitted even by direct saliva contact, e.g. by oral sex or kissing, and certainly not by hand-genital contact, regardless of the lubricant used (including genital secretions).  In general, the STDs evolved as sexually transmitted precisely because they are not carried or easily transmitted from saliva, respiratory secretions, etc.  If they could be transmitted that way, they would be as common as such nonsexually transmitted infections as influenza, colds, and oral herpes.

Nobody ever catches STDs in strip joints or in lap dance settings unless they have unprotected vaginal, anal, or oral sex while there.  Hand-genital contact is not a risk for any infection.

So definitely no worries and no need for testing.

Best wishes--- HHH, MD
3 Comments
Blank
Dr. Handsfield,

thanks for your response for my previous question.  One other thing I forgot to mention is that there has been a slight discomfort on and off for the last 4 days at the penis tip.  Like the feeling when you get soap or shampoo in the tip.  It is possible that has just happened more than once over the last few days, but if not, what else could cause that feeling?

Thanks.
Blank
239123_tn?1267651214
You could not have acquired any infection that causes such a symptom during the events you describe above.  Anxiety about the event might be a possibility.  See a health professional if the problem continues.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
300980_tn?1194933000
Edward W Hook, MDBlank
University of Alabama at Birmingham
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank