STDs Community
Scared and Anxious

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Scared and Anxious

Several weeks ago I had unprotected sex with another man where I performed oral sex on him. 3 weeks ago I developed a severe sore throat and went to urgent care. They did a rapid strep which tested positive and was given penicillin. I completed the 10 day dose and immediately got pus on my tonsils with 24 hours of taking the penicillin. I went back and they gave me 10 day dose of Keflex.  My throat isn't sore right now but there are red lesions on my tonsils.  Does this sound like oral gonorrhea or chlamydia?

When I ejaculate there is very little volume and I kind of ache in my urethra afterwards. Which eventually goes away. No pain on urination, no discharge from from my penis.

I'm freaking out right now.
Hi Corey1965,

It's difficult to identify the red lesions on your tonsils is due to what condition.
You need to get your doctor to check it. And, please tell your exposure to them so they can order the specific tests to test for throat gonorrhea or throat chlamydia. They might probably order tests for other STDs as well. However, it's fair to say, chlamydia infection in throat is rare. Throat is a favourite place for chlamydia bacteria.
If I understood your exposure correctly, you performed unprotected oral sex to a man, right? If that's the case, there should not be any affect to your penis.
Thanks for your reply.  I have been tested for other STD's but I understand the blood & urine tests will not catch an oral infection.  I'm fairly certain that is it pharyngeal gonorrhea.  The thing I don't get there were no outward signs of gonorrhea like discharge from the penis and he didn't cum in my mouth.  I've never let that happen.  It seems my risk is fairly low but I don't understand why penicillin and Keflex aren't killing this bug.  I don't feel bad anywhere else and don't seem to have any other symptoms.  I've also read that if oral gonorrhea does present it usually will clear on its own over time.  I'm trying to get into a doctor to get a throat culture but that is proving to be difficult.  
since you had unprotected sex, you need to make sure your std testing was done at the proper times. you can test for trich,  chlamydia and gonorrhea any time after 1 week post encounter. syphilis after 6 weeks. herpes, hiv and hepatitis after 3 months.  not sure when and what testing you had done so far.  odds are far more likely that you contracted a std genitally than orally so if one isn't being detected in testing from urine, odds are you don't have one orally.

you've tested + for strep throat and your symptoms all sound like strep throat. no real reason to think you also have an oral std.   At this point I'd wait a full 2 weeks after finishing the keflex before going for more throat cultures if symptoms continue. If this is also a viral infection along with the strep, it can take a few weeks to fully run its course.

have you had your gardasil shots for hpv?

for the future, we always recommend protected sexual contact. it protects you, saves you worrying and also saves you from having to get frequent std testing. your health just isn't worth the risk of unprotected sex!

grace
I had a 8 panel test performed  3 weeks after first exposure. All were negative except hpv1 which I understand to be very common since I have had cold sores on my lips before. I was retested again for hiv antibodies last week, 6 weeks post exposure.

I have had oral unprotected sex performed on me but any other activities have been protected.

I have no burning on urination, no discharge or penis pain except after ejaculation. Otherwise I feel good except my throat. However it is getting better too, finally. I am 5 days post Keflex and no reoccurrence of pus, tonsils are still swollen and sore but seem better.
I believe you mean hsv1 , not hpv1.

testing for std's needs to be done at the times I listed or you've wasted your money. hiv testing can be done sooner than 3 months but it depends on the test used. for more info on the accuracy of your hiv test you had done, you can post about it on the hiv patient to patient forum.
You're right I meant Hsv 1. I've been to the doctor and he prescribed 500 mg of Levoquin for 7 days. If that doesn't clear it he's going with something more aggressive with some nasty side affects.