STDs Community
Scared to death. Need advice/support.

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Scared to death. Need advice/support.

I don't really know where to begin because my mind is racing right now. Basically, i've had a swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck that's come back twice now. The first time it happened, i went to see the doctor and she said i was just fighting off a virus and to take some paracetamol, which i did. It went away after about 5 days and i completely forgot about it up for about a year until this week when it was slightly swollen again in the same place.

I went back to the doctor today and she checked all my lymph nodes. She said that the one that was bothering me was slightly swollen but i have no other swollen lymph nodes. She booked me in for an ultra sound on my neck to check to see why it was swollen again and i've also got a blood test in a few weeks. She told me not to worry but i'm terrified.

I'm scared that it's HIV or cancer. I've only ever slept with one person but we didn't use a condom and we had a causal relationship for a while. I've heard from people that he's used a lot of girls. I feel like my life is over. I'm only 25 years old. I've considered taking my own life because i know i couldn't cope if it was something serious. Can any other stds cause swollen lymph nodes or is it just HIV?
I there and so sorry your so worried. Its only anxiety as am sure your just fine.
In my experience with living, things like this come up now and then, and 99.99% of the time end up not to be anything. That slim 1% ends up with very good treatments. So either way your ok
This all part of life and is set this way to remind us of our humanity, and in some ways bring us back down to earth and gets our mind and values back on track.
An example is your affair with your friend. Everything was great and were not considering at the time about is exposure, now the thought comes up and makes us reflect back that maybe we should not of done this with him.
Its natures natural way of helping us to avoid really bad temptation in the future.
Also if your friend was infected, im sure some symptoms would have come up by now with him and he would be freaking out as well.

Right now your mind is weighing what it could be, HIV or cancer. But it also could be your tonsils acting up or even a wisdom tooth or even a common infection that your body is filtering. There are more good reasons for the swelling than bad but because of the promiscuity, its is leaning you to thing the bad.
Just cling to your spiritual convictions for now until the results come back. Let this be a time of reflection for you.
Dave
I remember about 2 years ago he said he had swollen glands then a few weeks later i got the same thing. I don't know if he found out what it was because we don't speak anymore.
Swollen glands are very common with your age group as are always fighting off some type of infection. You guys are always out doing something and exposed to more things than us stay around the house people.

Remember what i said about the guilt as it can lead to high anxiety. You fooled around and now feel your condition is a consequence of that. So just remember its only guilt you have not HIV or cancer.
They might be common but that's too much of a coincidence.
no reason to think a std is causing swollen glands in your neck area.  they are quite common with many non-std related viral infections and it's that time of the year when many are going around. you contract them from touching surfaces, kissing and as well as just from breathing within 3 feet of others.

you are already following up with your provider which is the best thing to do.  If you are concerned about any std or hiv, ask for testing for peace of mind so you can move forward and stop worrying!!!

grace
I am not an expert, but have been in your shoes. I stressed myself so much that my dr had to put me on Xanex. I got tested and guess what, nothing. Negative. Your body can do funny things to you when your under stress. Try to relax, I know it's hard, but I'm sure your just fine :).
The doctor felt under my arms and my groin and there was nothing there. Is it possible she missed a swollen node there?
No not possible, he knows what to feel for and he did his job. Its in your mind now.
But there's one in my neck though. That's not in my mind. I don't remember ever getting swollen glands before i became sexually active. I've only ever been with one person.
you are your own worse enemy at this point!! Keep in mind - when you are intimate with someone, you are kissing them and breathing up close to them. that is how most viral infections are transmitted - it's not all about std's!!!
But that was ages ago. A viral infection wouldn't last this long and come back.
Have you had your tonsils out?
No. Why? There's nothing wrong with my tonsils.
The first time i got the swollen gland, which was like 2 years ago, she said my tonsils were up a bit but they're not this time. That was a different doctor. The first time she just told me to take paracetamol, which i did, and it went down by itself after about 5 days or so. The first doctor wasn't very helpful.
Do you think it's possible to have HIV and just have one swollen lymph node in one place?
No. There would be multiple areas of lymph node inflammation occurring in the body. But, you cannot base symptoms alone as diagnosis of a particular disease. Most people can get swollen lymph nodes from run-of-the-mill infections that people can acquire everyday.
So, it's not possible to have just one swollen gland? The guy I slept with turned out to be an ******* and has apparently used a lot of girls. I still think I have it.
Can viral infections come and go?
You think you have it but you won't know that until you take a test. You are driving your anxiety to the brink of causing you grief. The one swollen lymph node could be another symptom other than HIV. Also, it would not just be that one symptom, there would have been a variety of constant, on-going symptoms instead of just one symptom. Viral infections can come and go. Some could use a bit of medicated help to clear up and others can clear up on their own. Just because a guy sleeps around with a number of partners does not mean he has a disregard for his own health.
Well, i have a blood test next week and i'm going to have a chat with my doctor. She asked me if i'd been feeling stressed lately, i lied and said no but i think i'm going to tell her the truth when i see her. I've been feeling very run down in general and have just gotten over a sickness bug i caught from work (i work in a care home).
Well, I know everything will turn out for the best for you and hopefully, this anxiety can either ease off a bit or lessen when you discuss this with your doctor.
Thank you. I will let you know what happens.
Well, i had the ultra sound on my neck and they couldn't find anything at all and said i don't need to go back to the doctors about the gland thing. Not sure what to think. Had my blood test last Tuesday so got to wait for the results for that. They're testing for thyroid, diabetes and anaemia because i feel so run down. I'm certain the gland in my neck feels swollen though.
Could the doctor have missed something? I mean, i wasn't in there very long.