STDs Community
Scrotum Yeast: Terbinafine / Lamisil vs. Fluconazole / Diflucan?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I'm a 25 year old male, and I believe that in December I have caught some kind of a yeast (or bacterial?) infection after repeatedly having protected sex with a 21 year old female (we were seeing each other regularly during December) — it first started affecting my balls and then in mid-January the irritation seemed to have moved more to the penis.  I've never had unprotected sex.

I've seen a number of specialists regarding my concern, and they all advised me that either everything is absolutely normal (mostly not even really acknowledging the redness that I have on the scrotum), or that I might have something like jock itch.

I seemed to have had a diet full of yeast back in December (way too much bread and toasts, and my frozen food all seemed to have had yeast in ingredients), so perhaps this attributed to my susceptibility?

I've tried topical antifungals and it seemed to move the line on the balls somewhat further from the main body, and then antifungals with steroids, but the irritation is still there, and I'm not sure what to do.  I've started taking Lamisil 2 days ago, as the doctor seemed to disbelieve that Fluconazole should be used to treat Tinea Cruris (in fact, he didn't even seem to have ever heard about Fluconazole), and he seemed to be enjoying entertaining the idea that my irritation and the fact that my partner seemed to have had a similar irritation are coincidental and not relevant at all.  (For what it is worth, the girl, who is from China, doesn't seem to be bothered at all by her apparent yeast infection (cottage cheese like stuff on the sheets and in the vagina even after a shower, unclear discharge, pain during intercourse etc), insisting that everything is normal and common — she repeatedly declined to see the free doctors here in Canada, and we don't seem to talk anymore because of that (in fact, she attributes our whole disagreement due to "cultural differences"), so it seems like I'm on my own, but she's still in town.)

Is Lamisil really used to treat Yeast infections?  From its product page, it doesn't seem to cover as many fungal families as Diflucan does.  Should I switch from Lamisil to the more common Diflucan?  I was told that I'd have to wait for a number of months before I could see a dermatologist here.  I was also told that there's nothing on my skin to make the fungal scrapings from — is there any way to find out the family of the fungal infection that I'm possibly having?
This is out of my league, try posting in the dermotology community.