STDs Community
Seroreversion??!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Seroreversion??!!

Dear doctors,
Please forgive this long post, but I hope to provide all information relevant to the situation at the outset.

This question concerns the possibility of hsv2 seroreversion.  I have consistently tested negative for hsv1, so that is not a factor, as well as for all other routine stds.

I was on Interferon since 2003 or so, for a myeloproliferative disorder.

Last sexual encounter was with ex A on 9/15/07 (protected); prior encounter was with ex B on 5/7/07 (unprotected, after negative results); nothing in between, just to clarify.  I consider myself to be “low risk” as I always practice safe sex (ie, use protection); at  6 months into a relationship, both get retested and, if negative, will then have unprotected sex.  In retrospect, the only risk was that I took partners at their word, and did not see the test results (referring to both A [7/06 and 9/07; never had unprotected sex] and B [protected, save the last time after the negative repeat test]).

4/30/07
hsv2 – negative (herpeselect; mayo clinic; they do not report numbers)

2/28/08
hsv2 – 5.87 (captia; labcorp)

3/17/08
hsv2 – positive (herpeselect; mayo clinic)

Pretty astonished, but accepted that I had asymptomatic herpes.  But, niggling denial persisted, surrounding the antiviral properties of Interferon.  Perhaps it got the hsv before it had a chance to establish latency?  Maybe it gave me enhanced antibody response at the time of exposure, or subsequently eradicated the virus?

I was taken OFF Interferon on 11/15/08.  So, I got retested this year.

3/13/09
hsv2  -  1 year from possible exposure receive a positive WB?  If so, with what frequency?

3.   Which camp are you in regarding seroreversion (“cleared the virus” or “never had it”)?  Amongst STD experts, does one camp have more adherents, or is it a fairly equal split?  Scientific theories aside, at the end of the day, isn’t negative still negative?

4.   Any comment on the possible role of Interferon in this saga?  (The doctor at Monte was disinterested.)  I don’t suppose you know of any studies on hsv2 in a population of hepatitis patients on Interferon? (I couldn’t find any.)

5.   If Interferon is a red herring, is there some other explanation for two false positives last year, or three false negatives this year, outside of doctor/lab error?  biokit reported "minimal" cross-reactivity w/ hpv, vzv, ebv, cmv, and others. captia says no cross-reactivity to cmv, vzv, or ebv.  herpeselect appears to have minimal cross-reactivity to cmv, vzv,  ebv, plus hhv6. I did have chickenpox as an infant.

6.   I know all the type-specific tests look for antibodies to the gG2 protein.  Are they all targeting the entire protein (my assumption), or different parts of the protein?

7.   Do you concur that I can stop testing at this point?

I thank you for reading this lengthy post, and for your reply.  Please feel free to comment on any other points you deem relevant.
err...I thought i was posting to the std expert forum, since that's the page I was on when i clicked on "post a question".  can someone tell me what I did wrong?  I expected to get some message concerning how to pay, but it just posted here.
i seem to have figured it out, and successfully posted to the doctors.  however, any insight any of you have is still welcomed and appreciated.
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/STDs/show/116

Click that, and it will take you to the expert forum.  You might want to edit your post some since there is a limit on length, and I think you've gone over it.

thanks for the hint.  i did shorten it, but i guess not well enough, as the thread got nuked.

so, if you want to take a whack at it, please do.  most interested in a response to question 7.

recent test results:
3/13/09
hsv2 -  1 year from possible exposure receive a positive WB?  If so, with what frequency?

thanks for your help.
i don't get why the results won't post...
3/13/09  hsv2 <0.91 (captia, labcorp)
3/22/09  hsv2  1.14  (herpeselect, cdc)
4/6/09    hsv2  negative (biokit)

doc at std clinic said he never had an asymptomatic patient w/ negative biokit come back positive on WB.  is your experience similar?
I think you need to get in contact with the folks who did the WB, and give them all your results.  They may be able to better sort it out for you.

At this point, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving you any answers one way or the other.  

To post in the doctor's forum, just list the test dates and results,  that you were on interferon and when you ended it, your last sexual encounter, and ask what they think and would suggest next.  You can skip the part about clearing the virus - that doesn't happen with herpes.  

Aj
thank you for the advice.