STDs Expert Forum
Sharp pain when urinating

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Sharp pain when urinating

I was recently diagnosed with chlamydia and received the 100mg twice-a-day treatment of doxycycline.  Things got better but I would still sometimes have a sharp pain in my urethra when I'd urinate.  I went back to my doctor and they decided to treat me again with the 100mg doxycycline.  I still feel the sharp pain occassionally, typically when I urinate in the morning.  The only thing I can think of is that I took an acidophilus supplement with my original treatment. Maybe the acidophilus counteracted the antibiotic somewhat?  Any advice?
Doxycycline is virtually 100% reliable against chlamydia, and acidophilus won't change that.  (Acidophilus doesn't do anything good or bad, a worthless health supplement.)  Your ongoing urethral pain likely doesn't reflect continuing infection or any health problem of significance, especially since there is no discharge and the pain is intermittent.  It likely will fade with time.  You can resume sex without worry about your health or that of your partner(s).

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I suppose it would be smart to add that the pain isn't terribly bad or severe, just something I notice.
Even more evidence that it isn't important.

HHH, MD
Thank you so much for your reply, the answers you give here allow a lot of people to live happier.

I am still worried about the possibility of genital herpes...(did some more reading on the forums).  After thinking back to when I was tested, it started RIGHT after they took the culture (I'm a male) which was one of the worst pains I've ever felt!!  Maybe I was injured by the test?
Herpes doesn't cause the kind of pain you have now or the other symptoms you had earlier.  Of course, because 25% of the poulation has HSV-2, you might be infected.

It is possible your urethral pain is related to the specimen collection, perhaps in combination with the chlamydia.  But that doesn't change my opinion that it isn't a sign of anything important, or that it will go away on its own.

HHH, MD
A related discussion, Sharp pains was started.