STDs Community
Should I drain blood & puss from a cold sore?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I just broke out in what I'm assuming is my first cold sore. My girlfriend gets them, and unfortunately it would appear I've contracted it. It came on fast and on day 1 (that I noticed it) it was a large raised bump with a small crater, and on day 2 (today, Saturday) I woke up to find it hard and almost black. I now see that it's filled with blood; basically more like a blood blister than anything else. I'm wondering if I should drain the blood and puss, apply a mix of abreva and neosporin and attempt to bandage it (a band-aid on my lower lip, that'll be hysterical) -- or if I should just leave it be and keep up the Abreva treatment.

btw, I started treating immediately with Lysine+ and last night started using Abreva.

thanks
This doesn't seem like a typical Herpes cold sore those are usually whitish/pink in colour and look more like blisters containing a clear or yellowish fluid......
I'm just wondering if this is an insect bite rather than a cold sore !!! Either way don't play around with it you will only spread infection.

Daisy
Hm, that's interesting. It's changing (mutating? ha!) rapidly. The blood-blister part seems to have subsided slightly, although the "crater" is now wide open and with white puss. There are additional lesions around the blister, all with the characteristics of very dry skin cracks. The fact that this thing is on the top of my bottom lip isn't helping; it gets bumped with every breath, bit, drink, word, movement, thought, oh you get the idea. The medicine I put on doesn't last long. I've taken to coating the rest surface of my lips with a lip balm to keep them moist so I can try to sit with my mouth open. Good thing no one can see me now… sheesh

Spiders and other bugs aren't out of the question I suppose, but since my girl just had this problem and now I do, I'm pretty convinced it came from her. The blood blister part of it could be attributed to it getting cut/cracked open just because of its location.

Anyway… I'll leave it well enough alone. Now to figure out how to go out in public. Hmmm
If this "thing" is so big it's causing you to sit with your mouth open I would suggest a visit to your Doctor I'm almost certain if it were a Herpes sore the blisters would have broken and scabbed over in a few days rather than turn into the blood/pus filled crater you describe.....
Go get it checked out by a Doctor and err on the side of caution as to what has caused this.

Daisy
I agree.  This doesn't sound like a cold sore.

AJ
oh joy. OK, thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers