STDs Community
Should I get tested for Trich ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Should I get tested for Trich ?

Hi ! I got screened for STD, and it turns out I had Chalmydia , took the antibiotic prescribed , and will know in a week if it's cured or not as I just got retested today .
After taking the antibiotic I noticed yellow dishcarge . I more than likely had this yellow discharge before I took the antibiotic but just didn't take any notice to it . So I have had this yellow discharge everyday for a month now that I have been taking notice to it .

It's not smelly , it just smells musty . I went today to also get tested for Trich and bacterial Vaginosis , however , they could test me because I still had some blood left over from the period . So they gave me a perscription for Bacterial Vaginosis , and told me if I still had symptoms to come back after a week ..

My issue is , I know that to treat BV and trich you use the same antibiotic , but for trich they just give you a different dosage , a higher dosage im assuming . So , if I have Bacterial Vaginosis and not trich , then I don't mind takinf the pescription . But if I have Trich , and I take this dose that they gave me , it will probably not cure the trich because it's a dose for bacterial vaginosis , and I will have taken antibiotics that didn't work because it's the wrong dose , and then will have to take ANOTHER dose of antibiotics if I do have trich .

So I wanted to just go back on Monday and get tested for Trich so I can know for sure if it's Trich or not , so that I don't have to take 2 sets of antibiotics - as if it is trich and not bacterial vaginosis , the dose they gave me won't kill the trich and I'll have to get another dose just to kill the trich .

Do you think I should ASSUME it's bacterial vaginosis and take the dose I was prescribed , and if I have symptoms still after a week, get tested for trich and if it is trich then take ANOTHER dose just for the trich .

Or do you think I should just not even take the antibiotics and wait til' monday to get tested for Trich , and that way if it is Trich they can give me the proper dosage , and that way I'll only have to take the antibiotic once with the right dose ?

Thank you for your help !
I just talked to a nurse , and they said the antibiotic dose for trich is 2 pills a day for 2 days or 4 pills in 1 dose .

And the antibiotic dose for Bacterial Vaginosis is 2 pills a day for 7 days .(which is the one i was prescribed)
He said if I have trich , this dose will cure trich and BV .

But when the doctor said Oh ill just treat your for bacterial vaginsos , I said , can't you just treat me for Trich , and that way if it is BV and not trich , it will kill bacterial vaginosis as well as the trich (if it is trich and not BV) as well . And he said , no I don't want to give you a dose for trich since we aren't able to test for it so ill treat you for bacterial vaginosis instead , which may kill the trich or it may not kill the trich if it is trich ..

So that leaves me a bit confused . Will 7 pills , twice a day kill Trich or does it have to be the 2 pills twice a day for 2 days or the 4 pills in one dose to kill Trich ? Because I don't want to have to take this dose (that is for killing BV), to find that it doesn't kill tich (if it is trich and not BV) , and then have to take another dose if this dose doesn't kill trich (if its trich and not BV)

Thanks !
Okay so I got more information . For Trich you can take 500 mg twice a day for 7 days , or you can take 350 mg twice a day for 7 days , or you can take 250 mg 2x a day for 7 days , or 2000g in 1 dose one time ..

So , I wanted to know how effective it was to take 500 mg twice a day for 7 days to cure trich ?

Thanks !
Hi and welcome. Slow down!!! you all over the place. You were diagnosed for Chlamydia and thats what your being treated for correct?
Lol , Life . No . I was diagnosed with Chlamydia , I took the antibiotics . And I got tested again today to see if it's cured . I will know in a week if it's cured .

In the meantime , i went to get tested for Trich and BV today ,but they couldn't because I still had some blood left over in my discharge from my period .
So , the doctor just gave me flagyl , 500 mg twice a day for 7 days .

So , So I don't know if it's BV or Trich , and the reason I think it's one of the two is because , I have had yellow discharge everyday for a month now , and probably longer but just took notice to it a month ago . It is not fishy smelling , just musty .

So I will be starting the Flagyl tomorrow . I want to know if the 500 mg twice a day for 7 days will also cure trich , if it happens to be trich and not BV .

Ive been reading that there's many ways to take flagyl for BV , in 1 dose or in multiple doses for 7 days . It seems that the cure for BV and Trich are exactly the same dosage . 500 mg twice a day for 7 days .
I am wondering who else has took this to cure BV and/or Trich .

I am wondering , because the doctor today had said I will give you this for BV .. And I asked can't you just give me the dose for Trich , incase it's Trich . And he said no , that he would only give me the dose for BV .. However , upon doing research , talking to a pharmacist and a nurse , apparently thise dose I was given for BV is the same dose that is given to cure Trich , so I am confused why the doctor didn't just say "Well im giving you this dose to cure BV , but it is also the same dose to cure Trich if you happen to have Trich" .. He actually said "This dose many cure Trich or it may not cure Trich if you have it" which made it seem like the 500 mg twice a day for 7 days is not the correct dose to cure Trich , but it seems like it's the exact treatment to cure both BV and Trich .

So I wanted to know if anyone else has cured Trich and BV using this dose .

Thank you !
I meant "There's many ways to take Flagyl for Trich" not BV .
actually the provider who didn't test you properly because of some menstrual blood erred. you absolutely can  be tested for bv with blood present.

do your symptoms sound at all like trich? no they do not.   you really are worrying needlessly about this being a trich issue.

at this point, return and get proper tested for vaginal infections if you aren't comfortable just treating for bv.  

grace
Okay ! I had that in my mind too and wasn't sure which one you meant lol .
I am "high energy" especially when I am worried or excited about something .

Also , day 3 now of Flagyl . 2 doses a day . I experiencied sharp tingling off and on for an hour or so , and it hasn't happened since .
I have been reading (of course) that it can lead to serious nerve damage . If the tingling continues , should I discontinue using the antibiotic ?

Am worried it may lead to permanent nerve damage , although I read some people who had that were taking much higher doses than I was , and others took it their first time and felt the tingling feeling ..

So im a bit worried !
bv can cause a lot of these symptoms. continue to fully treat your infection. avoid alcohol totally too - not even cough medicine!

stop reading forums that make you worry needlessly about things not worth worrying about!!
Grace , thank you ! The only thing I worry about is , I don't recall ever having these random sharp pains and tingling feelings before I took Flagyl . And I talked to a pharmacist who told me if I felt it again to lessen the dose to 250 instead of 500 .. But I really don't want to have to take it 3 extra days because im halfing the dose .. He advised me to stop taking Flagyl if these symptoms continued .

Needless to say , I felt tingling and sharp pain lastnight after taking the 500 mg , and took another this morning , and the tingling and numbness has come back .. I know flagyl is known for causing tingling and numbness .
I'm going to just continue this treatment as I have only 3 days left after my dose tonight . I want the infection to be cured . I just hope it doesn't make the side effects even worse in the next few days .

Does anyone think I should do otherwise or do what the pharmacist suggested cutting the pill in half and halfing my dose each day or continue taking the 500 mg twice a day even if the tingling , numbness and sharp pain continues ?

Thanks !
I forgot to mention , lastnight I had tingling in my left leg , and today after taking the dose , I am having tingling and numbness in my right arm .
you can give your provider a call in the morning.

vaginal flagyl is much better tolerated than oral flagyl. the oral dose can really make you feel like crap from the side effects :(  if you get bv in the future, make sure you ask for the vaginal cream instead - you'll probably tolerate it much better.

Grace , have you ever taken Flagyl either way ?
I know I shouldn't necessarily look up other people's experiences , but tingling and numbing happen in 1% of people who take it . And I happen to be that 1% unfortunately . And i know there's people who suffer from peripheral nueropathy thanks to Flagyl , and I just don't want to be that person !
Plus , Antibiotics for BV , cures BV but BV can still come back , so why should I take the risk of taking this antibiotic and causing serious damage , when my BV may just come back .

And you say you don't think I have trich ? I want to get tested for trich in a few days or a week or so . But if my symptoms don't seem like trich I could just wait until november , when I get my pap smear and they could see if I had trich , right ? Or do you think I should just get tested in a few days ?

Thanks for all your help !
I've taken it multiple, multiple times both ways - even both at the same time....lol  I've also given flagyl professionally thousands of times and never ever had a patient suffer from long term issues from it.  

when you were tested for bv, they would've seen if you had trich too unless they only did ph testing and/or a wiff test.  
They didnt test me for it that's the thing . They were about to swab and then the doctor said he couldn't take a Swab because I still had blood from my period so he just assumed I had BV and gave me flagyl .
I stopped the dose before it ended because of the constant tingling and numbness I got from taking it , I know that's not normal !
So will that make my infection worse since I exposed the infection to treatment and then stopped the treatment before it could cure it .

Essentially I have dark yellow brownish discharge sometimes just yellow with a musty smell to it when I smell it . I get cramps rarely and not everyday . So I have no idea if its BV or Trich and am trying to get tested for it . Which do you think it is from the symptoms ? And if I took tindazole instead do you think I'd suffer the same side effects ?
Thank you !
And yes I agree that many people take it and have no problem but there are a few who take it and do get problems and I stopped the antibiotic because I saw 1% of people who get numbness and tingling in arms and legs using flagyl . I happened to be one of them lol . I wanted to continue taking the antibitic (antibiotic) because i only had 3 days left but I called the pharmacist and he said if it continues stop taking it . So I took it on my 4th day and the numbing and tingling was worse I could hardly pick up my arm . So I stopped . Do you suggest I take flagyl again or tindazole after I get checked properly for bv and trich considering the side effects I had ?
at this point, wait a full week and return for proper testing.  

Ok will do .
The other thing that concerns me is that the last time I took flagyl was yesterday morning and my arm is tingling again so I don't know if that's happening because the antibioic is still in my system or if its a long term effect of the side effect I've been having with it
Also , if the antibiotic doesn't work for an infection , does it make the infection worse or does the infection stay the same but just make it more resistent to the antibiotic ?
Ok so a month and a few weeks ago I got tested , and was surprised to find I had Chlamydia .
I was given 1 dose of 1000g of Azithromycin to take 1 time only . I just got retested a week ago , and the results just came back saying I tested negative for Chlamydia .
Now how long does it take 1000 g of Azithromycin taken 1 time to get out of your system ? I tested 1 month after taking the antibiotic . So Im hoping the antibiotic didn't give me a false negative .
Im wondering , even though it says that I tested negative after taking the antibiotic if I should get retested 1 more time to make sure i really am negative for Chlamydia ? Or should I just stop worrying ?
Also , I took Flagyl 500 mg twice a day for 3 days and 1 dose the 4th day for BV/Trich but stopped because of side effects if I want to get retested for Chlamydia tomorrow , would the Flagyl still be in my system by tomorrow and effect the outcome of the results for my Chlamydia ?

And how common is a false negative for Chlamydia after taking Azithromycin ?

Thank you !
Thank you life ! ok , some of that was confusing , about the part about a urine test ? I went to a clinic so they did a urine test on me , so the above is saying whether it was a urine test or a swab if it comes out negative it means your negative ?
Yes both are reliable, yes. I noticed that your bouncing back and forth in the chlamydia forum and here the same question.
Ok great thank you for your help life ! Well I had started a chlammydia post and then when I found out I may have bv or trich I made this post so I didn't know whether to post the question about retesting for chlamydia here or there so I just did both I don't know if people see only most recent posts or have to scroll down in the post to see any new questions posted . Sorry for the confusion !
Do you know if it's more likely to get a false negative or false positive ?
your repeat testing for chlamydia was accurate. the antibiotics you were given previously are long gone from your body.  

Thanks Grace , So testing 1 month after taking the dose would give the antibiotics enough time to leave your body ?
Hi again . Since yesterday , 3 days after stopping flagyl early , I am having constant cramping in my abdominal that feels like sharp pain. I have also had a lot of gas . I think it's either from having a lack of good bacteria so I have a lot of gas build up that won't all come out or its a side effect of flagyl or it could just be my infection worsening ? What do you think ? I usually just ignore cramps because they're not that bad but these have been constant all of yesterday and now this morning and sting almost . Am going to the clinic today .
Back from the clinic ! Interestingly enough .. They took a swab of my discharge and looked at it under a microscope . Apparently I don't have trich and I don't have BV .
So I am wondering , what then is causing this yellow discharge , since my chlamydia results (which i peed in a cup) came back negative as well as ghonerrea , syphillis (syphilis) , HIV and AIDS .

Does anyone know how a trich/BV test is done ? For instance ,if you have BV or Trich is the infection in ALL of your discharge , or is it only in some of your discharge , so when they take a swab of your discharge is it possible they can get discahrge that doesn't have the infection or they can get a swab that does have the infection ?

Or is it if you have BV or Trich , all of your discharge will show the infection , so no matter how big or small the swab BV or Trich will show up ?
Just wondering .
I am both relieved and kind of shocked !
Do any ladies out there just normally have yellow discharge ? I know yellow discharge can be 'normal' for some people but I always remember having clear white discharge or thick white discharge during ovulation for the longest time .
there are different ways of testing for bv and trich. usually we just look under a microscope but there are other ways.

you've treated bv so at this point, wait a few more weeks and if the discharge is still there, be seen again.

Thanks Grace .  Now I have an odd question . Ever since taking Azitthromycin , I would wear paper toiler in my underwear just to keep track of the color of discharge . So it would have a yellow color whenever id look , dry and wet .

This morning , noticed discharge it appeared yellow as usual on the toilet paper , except for some reason i decided to wipe my finger on it to see the discharge on my finger .. oddly it was not yellow at all . On my finger it appeared white , and clear and just like my normal discharge used to be !?

So have I been thinking I had yellow discharge this whole time , when it was the toilet paper making it appear yellow ? Why would it appear yellow on the toilet paper but white on my finger ?

And if it is infact white normal discharge , why am i getting discharge every single day and not just some days or days closer to my period ?

Thank you .
And P.S. i stopped my treatment , so would you still say its treated even though I stopped my treatment ? but , im going to keep track of the discharge now without toilet paper and see if it appears white !
probably it's the urine making it yellow on the toilet paper.  Unless discharge is soaking your underwear or has an unusual odor to it or causes an itch, I wouldn't worry about it.

some women do get discharge daily.  you can have it tested again in a few weeks if it's still there to see if it's an overgrowth of lactobacillus or just a natural discharge.  things changes as we grow older too...sigh.  

even partially treating bv, odds are it's still gone.  
Okay , thank you ! I put paper towel in my underwear , so i look at it just before i pee , so the yellow wouldn't be from urine . Thats why I thought my discharge was yellow because i knew it was discharge but it looked yellow but i guess its just appearing yellow ? Ive stopped wearing the toilet paper in my underwear , and now its looking just wet in my underwear or white .

And do you know if pap smears test for STDs ? Or do you have to ask them to do a seperate STD screening ?
honey - don't stuff anything in your underwear!!! all it is going to do is rub your skin and irritate it.  you want fresh air to your genitals which is why we recommend cotton panties :)

pap tests look for abnormal cervical cells. they are not proper std testing. you need totally separate testing for std's.
lol sorry i meant toilet paper not papert towel . And that's true the area does need to air out !
Anyway , I'll just go to s gynecologist and they can hopefully figure it out !
Thanks for all of your help !
don't stuff tp there either!!!
Update : just got my Pap smear and culture test back - says I'm normal for both so in a culture test ( they took some skin from my cervix and or discharge ) what STDs does the culture test detect ?

Thanks !
Think that is really left up to ask the Dr to see what they are going to test for.
i assume they were testing for all STDs, because I asked them to so they said they would do a culture test along with my pap smear. But I didn't get a document saying my results, I just got it over the phone and she said it was normal so I didnt know if there were specific STDs they look for when they do a culture or not because they didn't say anything specific to me .
pap testing is not std testing. some pap tests will test for chlamydia, gonorrhea, trich, yeast and bv.  culture testing can be for many things - you'll need to ask exactly what you were tested for.
That don't sound like bv it sounds like trich that's what I was diagnosed with and I had the same symptons