STDs Community
Simultaneous infection

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Simultaneous infection

One week ago I received oral sex from a man who has a history of cold sores.  At the time, and still today there is no sign of an oral outbreak.  3 days after receiving oral sex, I developed sores on my labia.  I have no history of cold sores or genital sores. I went to the doctor and the doctor said she was pretty sure I had contracted HSV-2, but needed test results to confirm.  Now, one day after starting Acyclovir, I have both lesions on my face and lesions on my genital area.  
1) Is it possible to have contracted the virus on both my genitals and face?
2) Can the same virus survive in different ganglion?  
3) Am I likely to be infected with either HSV-1 or HSV-2 in both areas, or infected simultaneously by both strands??
Yes you can contract hsv both orally and genitally at the same time.  Since you only report receiving oral sex this is more likely to be hsv1 than hsv2. How are they testing you for herpes - lesion culture and typing and/or blood test?

What dose of acyclovir and for how long did they prescribe?  

grace
Avatar n tn
they gave me 200mg of acylovir, and i'm suppossed to take 4 capsules 3 times a day, for 5 days.

They did not draw blood, but swabed the lesion--so lesion culture?
The 200mg dose of acyclovir is pure torture and unneccessary - but it should've been 200mg 5x/day for 10 days for a newly acquired infection.  Give them a call back and ask them to check the prescribing info and prescribe it properly.  You probably want them to actually prescribe 400mg 3x/day for 10 days instead - it's easier to take and works just as well.  It's very hard to remember to take something 5x/day in the first place - even harder to work in taking it without those around you seeing you popping pills so often so that they don't start asking questions!

Yes you had a lesion culture. If they call you back and say it was + for herpes but when you ask which one they say it wasn't typed or it doesn't matter - INSIST that they call the lab back and order it to be typed. Not typing a culture is completely irresponsible and actually not what the CDC currently recommends. It will save you a lot of follow up blood tests if they type it now.

grace