STDs Expert Forum
Slight Stinging or Burning in Tip of Penis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I had very brief unprotected oral sex (5 seconds or less before I stopped it) with a man about 5 months ago.  I was treated for a possible Chlamydia infection shortly after with 10 days of Cipro.  Can't remember dose.  I visited my gen practitioner in the middle of the cycle and he gave me one dose of Zithromax.  I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend about 6 days after the Zithro.  This was probably mid Dec '06.  My symptoms - slight discharge, slight burning when urinating and heavy feeling in lower abdomen went away.  My girlfriend and I have regular unprot sex.  Everything was fine.  

About 4 weeks ago I started feeling a slight pain of and on in the tip of my penis.  This was after a weekend with my girlfriend and I figured it was due to some irritation from having sex.  This slight stinging has continued on.  It seems to be worse at this time.  Kind of like a faint buringing at the tip of my penis.  I have examined my penis and I don't see a noticeable discharge but there appears to be a very slight(the size of a pinead) red spot on the inside part of the opening to my penis, which seems to be where the stinging or burning is located.

I am not sure what this is or if it could be related to the brief encounter I had at the end of NOvember.  I would say this started right arount April 1 2007.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
If you had chlamydia, it had nothing to do with the oral sex episode.  (You don't say whether you mean giving or receiving.  But neither transmits chlamydia.)  But if you had chlamydia, it is good your gave you the azithromycin (Zithromax):  cipro is only partly active against chlamydia and is not a reliable cure.

I can only guess at the cause of your current symptoms.  The red spot story suggest herpes, but a herpes lesion in the urethra usually is excrutiating, and it would not last more than 1-2 weeks, certainly not since April 1.  Whether you have chlamydia, some other STD, or nothing all, I just cannot say.  If you have an STD, however, it almost certainly is unrelated to your oral sex episode 5 months ago. Your only option is to see a health care provider about all this.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
1 Comment
A related discussion, Burning in tip of men's penis was started.
I received oral sex in November and was brushed and bleeding from some gold filling in here mouth. Last week and still to today I have had pain in my groin and felt sick. Went to the doctor they siad I had a uti is that all or should I be worried.