STDs Expert Forum
Sludgy vaginal fluid

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Sludgy vaginal fluid

I am a male and I have been diagnosed with Genital Herpes. For the past couple of years after having unprotected sex with new girlfriends, within 1 week my female partner develops some form of thick discharge that decreases her natural slippery vaginal lubrication. I can see the discharge is white in color. The vaginal fluid also becomes somewhat sludgy in that I can rub my fingers together and it congeals into little clumps (similar to rubbing ones fingers with dried glue on them) My doctor is telling me that that is just a yeast infection. I find that hard to believe since this has happened with 5 different women.

Am i giving them yeast infections? I have also noticed that if i don't sleep with any of the affected women for some time (2 weeks or more) that her vaginal fluid isn't sludgy for the first week then the symtoms (symptoms) return after we restart intercouse. It's very frustrating not knowing how to stop the cycle. What am i passing on to these women that causes this? Is this Herpes related? Bacterial? Viral? Thank you for your help.
I think you are reading too much into your own interpretation of the character of your partners' vaginal secretions.  If the women themselves perceive a change or abnormality, they need to see their providers and get checked, but this isn't your role and I doubt your judgment that their vaginal secretions are normal or abnormal is valid or matters.  Certainly there is nothing in your description that suggest either yeast or herpes.

Regards--- HHH, MD
A woman's vaginal discharge changes throughout the month depending on her menstrual cycle...usually being more pronounced during ovulation (mid-cycle).  If it's not causing any discomfort, i.e itching, burning, foul odor, or an excessive amount, I wouldn't think it's due to an STD.  Also, sometimes the natural flora in a woman's vagina becomes unbalanced and we get what's called bacterial vaginosis.  This isn't considered an STD, but the symptoms can sometimes be exacerbated by sexual intercourse.

Anyway, the doctor is the expert and he's a heck of a lot more knowledgeable than I, so he'll answer your questions much better than I can.  I just wanted to add my 2 cents...seeing as I'm a female and have experienced variations of discharge myself.

Thank you for your comment. i have considered that as well. until 2 years ago the thickness of the vaginal fluid and the peeling effect (like dry glue) had never occured and any partner that i had every had and it now happens to all of my partners since then. I really do believe that there is any issue. over time it leads to less lubication and some discomfort for my partner during sex.
Thank you for your comment doctor. if you don't mind please indulge me on this. Have you every heard of the symptoms that I've described? I only mentioned herpes because I have it. not to imply that is the cause. but the first appearance of the white discharge and the peeling effect began shortly after i was diagnosed with Herpes. It had never occured with a partner in my life before that. As a 32 year old man I'm convinced that something is wrong and any help that you can be to get me one step closer to an answer would mean the world.
If your conviction that "something is wrong" refers to your partners' vaginal fluid and "peeling" that you observe in partners, I am equally convinced that you are not in a position to judge it, and that it is almost certain nothing is wrong with them. Certainly those things don't sound remotely like herpes or any other STD.

HHH, MD
Thanks again for your time doctor. Do you think that if I had Bacterial prostatitis infection that that could possibly cause the dreaded symptoms? I realize that I am rather young to have such an affliction. But in general could Bacterial prostatitis be a possible cause?