STDS
FORUM
Small red spot on penis
by user123, May 30, 2007
Sometime around the 22nd of may i noticed a small red dot at the top of the shaft of my penis, right where the pubic hair starts,  there is a small amount of pubic hair on the shaft around the spot.  After a few days the spot turned into a red bump.  No pain of any kind.  Then the bump start to look smaller,  but i woke up one morning and it looked alittle inflamed and had kind of a small blister on top.  So i popped the blister yesterday and the bump appears to be drying up and going away.  I do have a slight itch in and around that area,  I dunno if its just normal itch i never really pay attention but now i am because i'm paranoid about herpes.  I mean the itch is mild at most.  I will say a couple of months ago I woke up one morning and over night i had a sore bump a little further up,  but it was inflamed and festered so i popped it right away and it acted alot like an infected hair.  I'm just freaking out because all the descriptions you get for HSV-2 is it could pretty much be any possible bump what so ever on or around you genitals or even worse you won't even be able to tell if you have it but you still have it.
Answer:
This sounds more like a pimple or folliculitis (hair follicle infection) than herpes, which usually shows up as multiple blister-like lesions; and generally occurs on the head of the penis or shaft, not the base.  But if it occurs again, see a health care provider right away for proper diagnosis.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Member Comments (11)
by madesomebadchoices, May 30, 2007
Dr. will surely respond shortly.

Is there a hair in the middle of the bump?  If so, sounds more likely to be a hair follicle that has become inflamed.  Herpes is more typically on the shaft of the penis as I understand it.
by user123, May 30, 2007
I mean it is on the shaft but at the top of the shave right where there is a small amount of pubic hair and the rest of the hair starts.  I didn't see a hair in the middle of it.  I will say i took a hair trimmer and trimmed myself up a bit a few days before this bump came about,  I was thinking i might have irritated something.  I dunno if i'm must being paranoid or what about herpes.
by user123, May 30, 2007
Oh yeah i forgot to mention when i popped it the fluid was pretty much clear I don't remember if there was any blood,  i think there was.
by madesomebadchoices, May 30, 2007
Got it.

Again, I'm not a medical practitioner, but inside the hairline still seems high probability for folliculitis.  Here's something -- if you tug a little on the pubic hair near the spot, does the bump peak up?  You may have a hair that's too small to see in the middle of the follicle that is inflamed.  If you pull on it, you will see the inflamed follicle peak up at the center.
by user123, May 30, 2007
its almost healed up not so i'm not sure, i tried what you said and there are little hairs around it
by dan_12345, May 31, 2007
hi

i am 16 and have some bumps on the shaft of my penis and they are all singular bumps but near each other. they don't hurt or itch. but i also squeezed one with a pair of tweezers and removed some thick white substance (like a whitehead). I'm really confused

can someone plz tell me what they are and how 2 get rid of them
You can't start a new question in an existing thread.  But what you describe sounds like sebaceous glands, which are entirely normal.  Sebaceous glands become more prominent as someone sexually matures, i.e. about your age.

No follow-up comments/questions.  See your own health care provider if you remain concerned.
by user123, Jun 01, 2007
ok,  it looks like it has healed up but there is still a small red spot where the bump was,  do i need to be concerned?