STDs Expert Forum
Sore Throat (Strep) after kissing & oral sex
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sore Throat (Strep) after kissing & oral sex

Hi Doctor,

I'm a 32 year-old male.  Last weekend I had unprotected oral sex with two guys I met from craigslist on two separate occasions.  My encounters included performing and receiving oral sex.  In one instance, I ejaculated in my partner’s mouth.  However, I've never had an experience in which someone ejaculated in my mouth.  The only other contact included kissing and rubbing our bodies together.  

On Monday, I started experiencing a sore throat.  Yesterday (Friday), I was still experiencing a sore throat, was having difficulty swallowing and noticed a small white patch in my throat.  I decided to visit a Doctor and was diagnosed with Strep throat (positive from a swab test and visual throat exam).  My doctor prescribed Amoxicillin
(500mg 3x per day for 10days).

I've had a total of 4 oral sex encounters in my life prior to the two other experiences last weekend. I've never had any other type of sexual intercourse (e.g. Anal).

My questions:
1)What is the likelihood of the Strep infection being misdiagnosed and could I possibly have something else (such as an STD)?

2)What type of STD testing would you recommend and when should I be tested (keeping in mind I'm taking Amoxicillin for the next 8 days).

Thanks in advance for your professional advice and for providing this service.