Sore Throat
My throat has been sore for almost a month now.  There has not been much discomfort expect for the few odd days.  It just looks a fairly red and sore.  There are no bumps or puss associated with this.  Though on the side of my cheek (inside my mouth) on the left side I can see a small circle where the top layer is skin is gone, but again no real signs of bumps, sores etc so I don't know if it's related.

Overall, I have thought this could be a viral form of tonsillitus.  In the past few days I have experienced some nausea and dizzyness.  I have seen a doctor and nurse about this.  Both said it is probably tonsillitus and nothing can really be done other than wait for it to go away.  The nurse said perhaps I should get checked for an STD but was not very knowledgable about it.  Do you have any advice?
You don't give any history of having a risk from oral sex, so how can we interpret this as being related to an STD? STDs from oral sex are rare anyway. Tonsillitis doesn't have a "u" in it.
Yes, I have had oral sex recently.  Sorry about that, I had assumed it was a given.
Most oral std infections are asymptomatic, so the odds that this is an std are slim.  Why not get yourself to a doc and start feeling better?

AJ
Thanks for the comment.  I had seen a doctor and was told to wait it out with some ibuprofen.  It then got worse so I saw an emergency nurse who believed it was just a virus but suggested if it hangs around much longer that I should perhaps go get tested.  So I thought posting on here might help relieve my paranoia!  Thanks again!