STDs Expert Forum
Sore on Penis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Sore on Penis

I am 33 years old. I have some sort of sore on my penis. The sore is at the very end of the urinary canal (that is, the tip of my penis where the urine comes out). A portion of the sore is external and a portion of the sore seems to be internal (that is, it seems to also be on the inside of my urinary canal, at the very end of the canal (if I fold the skin at the end of my urinary canal back it seems like the tissue is not normal)). The sore comes and goes. Sometimes it seems like the sore bleeds (or has some type of blood like discharge). When I urinate my urine stream tends to be in two separate streams.

I have vague memories of the sore hurting slightly on rare occasions. (But, these memories of pain are very vague. I cannot say for sure if I ever actually experienced any pain.)

I never had any of the above symptoms until I was about 21 years old. At that time I went on a trip abroad and met a girl in a bar. We went around back and kissed on the mouth, and she touched my penis with her hands and may have put it inside her mouth. Ever since around that time I have had the above symptoms.

Based upon the above, do you think I have a STD? Do you know which one?

I have never been to a doctor for this problem because I am somewhat embarrassed about it. I would like to go to a doctor and be tested to find out what it is. I would rather go in and ask to be tested for a particular STD or range of STDs, as opposed to be examined. What type of doctor should I see. A urologist?

My biggest concern is that I have some sort of STD that puts me at a greater risk of catching another STD? Is this the case?

I do not have AIDs, as I was recently tested for it in regards to an unrelated matter.

Thank you
The most common cause of genital sores is herpes.  However, you don't provide enough information for me to really say whether it's likely in you.  When you get the sore, how does it start?  How long does it last?  How often does it happen?  That is, what does "it comes and goes" mean?

Recurrent genital herpes usually starts with a red bump that over the next 2-5 days develops into a blister-like or pimple-like lesion, then opens up, then gets a scab, then heals, total duration 10-14 days.  This almost never happens more than once a month, and between outbreaks everything is entirely normal.

But all I can do is speculate.  You need to see a health care provider at a time when the sore is "active", ideally when it's just a day or two old.  Although some urologists are up to speed on herpes and other STDs, many (most?) are not.  A family medicine doc or dermatologist would be the best bet.  Or visit your local health department STD clinic for the best chance at expert care that will be highly confidential.

In response to your last question, people with genital herpes are at higher risk of catching HIV if exposed.  But still, with common sense and safe sex, avoiding HIV is easy even for people with herpes.

Good luck--  HHH, MD

It is BigLoom. I just wanted to add some additional text.

I have been tested for STDs which may cause joint related problems and all the tests came back negative (I had joint pain and doctors ran bunch of tests to check for possible causes - do not remember what STDs they checked for - eventually I was found to have arthritis and this was determined to be the cause of the joint pain).

With regard to my comment that my biggest concern is that I have a STD which puts me at greater risk of getting other STDs, what about when a girl gives me fellatio? Suppose the sore is present or not present when a girl gives me fellatio - does this put me at a greater risk of getting a STD from that girl? This is a huge concern of mine.

Thank you
Receiving a blowjob is incredibly low risk, sore or no; around 1 in 20,000. No worries about that.

But it is a remarkably bad idea to receive oral when this sore is present--not because of the risk to you, but because of the potential risk to your partner. Like if that sore really is herpes, you could give your partner oral herpes. Go show your doctor. I swear, it's nothing s/he hasn't seen before.