STDs Expert Forum
Soreness underneath head of penis and small red 'area' at edg...

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Soreness underneath head of penis and small red 'area' at edge of penis head

The symptoms appeared about 2 weeks ago.  I first noticed them after a masturbation session.  The skin right underneath the head of the penis on the left side was very irritated and swollen afterwards, and I noticed a small purplish flat looking area, not really a bump, but more of a "mark', right on the edge of the head of my penis.  The  mark isn't hard or seems to have any solidarity to it at all.  

Over the last 2 weeks the mark has remained about the same size and color, and doesn't want to go away or heal up.  And I am still getting a slight burning and irritation underneath the head after masturbation or intercourse.

At other times, besides the "mark" being visable, there is no pain or irritation.  

No penile discharge, or any kind of open sores with these symptoms.
It seems possible you simply have some sort of physical irritation from masutrbation, but you probably are a better judge of that than I can be.  Perhaps dermatitis of some kind.  In any case, no STD causes such a symptom.

If it persists, see your primary health care provider, or perhaps a dermatologist.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
3 weeks ago i noticed a red/purplish blotch on the head of my penis(looked like a possible burst blood vessil) Not a scab after self examination. No itching, pain, discharge or painful urination of any kind. I scratched at it to see if it was a scab but it wasn't raised or bumpy. I haven't had unsafe sex with anyone since my last relationship last yr. I have however been masterbating (masturbating) more frequently sometimes up to 3 times in a night. i shower regularly and keep very clean. I also have used Nair hair removal creme in my genital area prior to noticing the blotch. Is this an STD from oral sex with partners or a possible allergic reaction to the Nair or something else caused by stress? Any possibilites would be helpful... Also in the last few days the blotch has changed to a redish raised oval circle still about the same size (pencil eraser size)  Not sure if this a good thing or bad.
As i stated above the change in my blotch,  i looked up online about ringworm because i have a severe case of athelete's foot that i started treating just today with some antifungal gel. The more i read about athelete's foot and how to cure it the best i saw that the some of the same cures are used on jock itch ( which i never recall having but the more i investigated the more i found that ringworm has the same symptoms i am showing. Is it possible that ringworm could accure on the penis head as well as the other ares of the groin? and if so is it safe to use the same gel on that area as well? I wouldbe releaved if this is all it was and can simply be cured by the same treament. Please let me no your opinion on these findings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.