Spongiotic
I have been having recurrent issues for 2 years, first vaginally, which over the past year became a rectal problem. Dispute numerous HSV1 & HSV2 blood tests, I had/have remained convinced that what I have is herpes. Issues (ALWAYS occurring on the right hand side) have occurred ever since unprotected oral sex with someone who recently had a coldsore. Over the past year, I get what feels like a cut/lesion/fissure on the right side inside my rectum. The cut is pre-ceding by itching, and sometimes local discomfort on the outside of my rectum (soreness). Also, I do get an enlarged lymph node on the right side too (down there). While having this “cut” I have had, over the course of 1 year, 2 negative cultures and 3 negative PCRs. I have been taking Valtrex on and off, but have not taken the Valtrex before I get the culture, but not sure if the Valtrex may still be in the system for some (?). Anyway, over the last 2 months, this issue has been coming and going approximately 1-2x a week (whereas it used to occur approx. 1 time a month-- lasts a few days and goes away). I've had doctors that say: it sounds like herpes so thats what it is, and other that believe my tests. I also have an autoimmune disorder and take hydrocortisone, which I fear may be clouding my IgG results.

In any event, with my last negative HSV PCR, I had a biopsy done. The biopsy diagnosis read –“Spongiotic Dermatitis, Subacute Type.” I want to know if I can really believe this. I perused an article that said that the “Spongiotic Diagnosis”  is often a blanket diagnosis- and not specific. If I get a biopsy that says the Spongiotic Dermatitis, does that DEFINITELY mean that what I have isn’t infectious like herpes?? I am very unconvinced. I don't see why dermatitis would have those other symptoms-- itching, swolen lymph nodes, etc. It doesn’t seem like dermatitis, but that’s what the biopsy says. I guess I just wanna know if you think the biopsy report thinks its dermatitis but its actually herpes. Does that happen?
Please post in the herpes community.