STDs Community
Staph Infection

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Staph Infection

Can a staph Infection cause all the signs and symptoms that a Herpes virus would. i.e burning, slight red cutts, bumbs, fever, night sweats, headaches... I recently went to the doctor and he said the quarter sized raised area above my shaft is folliculitis, more of the boil type. I am starting to believe him. (This is a good thing) I'm just now trying to tie it into the the rest of the symptoms I felt over the course of these past nine weeks. Any thoughts appreciated. Ohh, and Barne Babe, your response will not be thrown back at you as others have done so :)

i dont think a staph nfection would cause those symptoms, i had a staph infection for believe it or not 2 years before the problem was found out and i didn't have any of those symptoms. Hope this helps
Thanks for the response. My worse dream would be to have been infected w/ both staph and herpes because of one single mistake. However, I did find information online that side if staff infects the blood stream, these symptoms can occur. Especially since the first day after exposure I had diarrhea. Hmmm. Test in 3 weeks (11+ week mark) should be definitive, can't wait. Will be sure to keep all y'all updated.

Thanks much again for your thoughts.
I"m going to disagree with the other poster and say yes indeed all your symptoms could've been due to a staph skin infection. Don't underestimate what those little bacteria can do to your whole body!

Definitely do a final 3 month post encounter herpes test just for the peace of mind but I would assume at this point that the skin infection ( and anxiety ) are the cause of everything you've felt so far.

grace
I wish I read this a couple of hours ago. Will be the first thing I do tomorrow morning. the area has def balled up but has not lesioned or pussed yet. I've read that if you take antibiotics early enough, doesn't necessairly do so. It was funny, when I went into the office first a med school student saw me and i spent 30 minutes explaining to her my whole story of herpes. she looked and listened antentively, She felt I obviously knew what I was talking about because of my lingo. I too am a student of the medical profesions (trust me, hardest thing to do is to think you have herpes and take pathology/physiology at the same time, adds to the phycosomatic compulsive nature of self diagnoses) Anyway, dr comes in (with med school student), prods at it (I wanted to punch him it was so tender), looks at it under a magnifying glass, then tells me its folliculitis. Took about two minutes. I was shocked. I have had regular folliculitis on my legs for years (i run/excersice regulary). He begans to prescribe one medication and as he is doing so I show him the folliculitis on my legs. He then goes on to prescribe me SMZ/TMP which is a little stronger. Wasn't till I got home and did research that I learned the folliculits was a boil and most likely staph associated. No culture done to see if its MRSA, just told me to take meds and if it persists after two weeks, come back.

Only time will tell what happens. I would be an expert about every disease if I thought I had them all! :)
go to walmart and pick up some tea tree oil ( it's cheapest there - under $5 for 2 oz ).  Wet a cotton ball and put a few drops of TTO on it and apply it to the area of the infection a few times a day. It's effective against mrsa so it along with your antibiotics should help clear it up quickly. I know some folks even dilute TTO in a sprayer bottle and spray it on their genital areas periodically when they have a problem with folliculitis and mrsa.  Might be worthwhile.

I'd take MRSA over herpes anyday even though probably more folks nowadays have MRSA than have hsv2 even.  It's really an issue in healthcare right now :(

grace
Thanks Grace. I am starting to believe. You go to the Dr and you so want to be diagnosed w/ something. I think having the boil appear above my shaft has actually turned out to be a good thing, b/c at least I now have a def diagnoses. Taking meds and will be sure to complete them (this is essential for a bacterial infection such as staph as to not cause resistence) I have always had folliculitis, but recently it has been worse. Yes, anxiety plays another factor. But I remeber HHH as one to believe (read it in one of his posts) that anxiety does not cause symptom, only adds to them. So I knew I was experiencing something and was not just crazy. However, anxiety can lead you to become fixed on a diagnoses that just doesn't make since clinically, which I think happens to most of us when these wierd effects occur. Especially to those who always fear the worse. Makes for an interesting question. Whats worse, MRSA or HerpesII? MRSA is curable but yet could kill you worse case scenerio. Herpes is forever, but does not cause morbidity...

Thanks once again Grace. Always appreciate your word of thoughts and those of others.
I would like to know if someone is ever medically diagnosed as a "staph carrier."  Please let me know.  Thanks.