STDs Expert Forum
Strange bump

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Strange bump

Back in 2010, I discovered a bump on the penis shaft while in China and went to a hospital to get it checked.  The doctor looked at it and told me it was nothing.  The bump was skin-colored and not overly large.  It stayed there continuously for the next two years, never changing shape or color.   In that interim period, I had been tested at various times for STDs.  In January of 2012, I tested negative for Herpes and syphilis  (and the other diseases commonly tested for-- with the exception of an HPV test which wasn't being offered) and the only behavior I might consider risky, I had after that testing is detailed in my previous post from 9 months ago.  Since that time I've been in a stable, monogamous relationship for the past 6 months.  

Regardless that bump had been there for about two years when suddenly a couple weeks ago, it started to swell and develop a whitehead. It was a bit sore and kind of looked like a pimple.  I didn't try popping it, but I did wash it with soap and warm water in the shower, which I then noticed it started to ooze white pus.  Over the next couple days, I would shower with warm water and soap and it would ooze a little more white pus until it got smaller and smaller until it got to the point where the only evidence that bump for two years ever existed is a tiny little patch of skin that looks a little irritated where a hair follicle may or may not be (It's small and hard to really see clearly).  I suppose I still have a slight feeling of irritation in that area, but for all I know that's because caused by my worrying about it.

Now, I understand that there are some fairly common bumps that can occur in the genital area. I understand that sometimes hair follicles can become infected.  But I'm completely baffled how a bump that's been around for so long suddenly up and turn into what looks like a pimple, ooze white puss when washed and disappear.

What are your thoughts on this?  
Welcome to the forum.

Neither genital warts nor herpes persist in exactly the same spot, with reucrrent inflammation; and no genital warts are red or inflamed.  Your description is typical for a sebaceous cyst or hair follicle that periodically gets inflamed.  This is an extremely common condition -- certainly nothing to be "completely baffled" about.

From your other discussions on the community forum, you appear to have difficulty trusting medical advice about genital area conditions.  I would advise you to trust your doctors and your tests -- and unless and until you have new genital symptoms in combination with high risk sexual exposures, to stop all worry about STDs. And also not to worry about a recurrent pimple!

Good luck--  HHH, MD