STDs Community
Swab test vs. urine test

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Swab test vs. urine test

I visited my local health department this week for routine STD testing including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, and HIV. However, I made the mistake of not asking ahead of time whether they performed a urine test for chlamydia and gonorrhea. When I arrived and was told they performed the swab test I almost backed out but was told the discomfort would be minimal and very brief. Yet, I ended up enduring 30 seconds of absolute hell. A sadist interrogator at Guantanamo Bay could not  have devised a more painful procedure.

My risks were extremely low and I was really just getting tested for piece of mind and in keeping with standard health maintenance recommendations. I didn't pay for any of the testing but I still feel the cost in terms of discomfort wasn't worth the negligible chance that something positive would turn up.

My question is- why is the swab test still being used by health departments when there is a urine test available? Is the swab test more accurate or is usage based solely on cost considerations? I think more men would take advantage of the value of free, routine STD testing if penis torture could be eliminated from the experience.
I don't know why some still offer it - must be the lab or cost effectiveness for them.

And really - its 30 seconds.  I'm sure its not fun but most men say its not horrible.  Maybe you had a doctor with lousy technique.

I'm sure that this is not the worst pain you will feel in your lifetime, and it will be worth the peace of mind knowing you are not infected.

Aj