STDs Expert Forum
Swollen Glands concerns

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Swollen Glands concerns
This is a great forum you have here.  I have read about swollen lymph nodes coming on in early ars.  I am a gay man and I have had 3 low risk (oral) exposures 5 months ago.  None of the events ended in ejacualtion in my mouth.  For about 6 weeks now I have had what I believe are swollen nodes that started in my neck then a week later my armpit, then a week after that my groin.  The only ones I can feel are in my neck and groin.  The ones in my neck are the size of a pea but the ones in my groin are a little larger. The ones in my armpit ache without even touching them.  I now seem to have one behind my left knee.  I recently developed bursitis in my right elbow.  Questions.

1.  Have you seen HIV node swelling wait 5 before developing?
2.  Are HIV node swelling timing staggered like this?
3.  How large are nodes normally?
4.  Is it typical for them to be painful?
5.  Is bursitis liking in any way to HIV?
6.  Of all HIV symptoms, is generalized swollen glands "the" symptom for HIV?
7.  Would I see similar swelling on either side of the body.ie. one knee is swollen and the other is not?

Thanks for your replying to all of my questions.
I have said before that a person's own assessment that his or her lymph nodes are swollen or infamed (lymphadenopathy is the medical term) is very unreliable.  Also, HIV related lymphadenopathy is much more prominent that "pea sized"; the odds are you are feeling something other than lymph nodes.  So I wouldn't assume there is anything wrong unless/until confirmed by a health professional.  To further reassure you, lymphadenopathy alone, without other symptoms, rarely is a sign of HIV infection.

The answers to most of your questions are implied above.  My primary advice is that if you remain concerned, you need to see a health care provider to assess whether or not you have lymphadenopathy.  HIV testing probalby should be part of the evaluation, but that doesn't imply I believe it explains your symptoms.  Follow your provider's judgment.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
What are your thoughts on the timing (6months) after exposure for lymph nodes to swell?

What about bursitis...is it linked at all to HIV?  Thanks Dr. H.
A 6 month delay would be rare for HIV infection.  Bursitis is unlikely to be sign of HIV infection.  But I repeat my advice to see a health care provider.  You will never get definitive answers from me or any online source.

HHH, MD