STDs Expert Forum
Swollen and burning lips

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Swollen and burning lips

I am a male that has HSV2 in my genital area for 16 years and been outbreak free for 8 years. I recently had (gave) unprotected oral sex with a woman. I noticed my lips were startng to burn after about 3 minutes and quickly stopped and avoided any further sexual contact with her. The next day my lips were greatly swollen and felt blistered (although I did not see any blisters). I have continued to experience a burning feeling on my lips for the past 30 days.

About 15 days ago I kissed another girl for about 15 minutes. The next day her lips were swollen and felt 'on fire' (no blisters). She has continued to feel burning on her lips and the lips look like there are going to blister but don't.

Is it possible that I have picked up another varriety of HSV2? Or is this something else?

Would an good dose of Zovarax cure the situation?
Neither herpes nor any ohter STD can cause symptoms within a few minutes.  Your lips obviously were irritated chemically, or by an allergic reaction--e.g. to a perfume, spermicide, etc.  You don't need to worry about having anything you can transmit by kissing.

People already infected with HSV-2 cannot catch it again; or if it happens, it is very rare,

An anti-herpes drug would be silly.  If your symptoms persist, see a health care provider.  But put herpes out of your mind as the cause.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I absolutely disagree.  I caught it the same way you did.  And I almost gave it to someone the same way.  I believe it definitely is an STD that is caught orally - or how else how can one descibe it?  I also get it on the tongue and inside mouth (Stomatitis).  Medical experts failed to diagnose the causative agent or help me at all.  The experts told me I had Stomatits.  Duh.  (I wanted objective scientific evidence of a specific infection or agent.)  Please post what your doctors discover - as it may help me or others.

I find the best treatment for me is to rinse the mouth or brush the teeth with Arm and Hammer baking soda.  I can make the syptoms (symptoms) go away by using l-lysine (or Herpancine which contains l-lysine.)  L-lysine is available at drug stores and is cheap.  I avoid all acids and L-arginine as they make it worse.  I therefore suspect herpes. You may discover a better solution.

Of course you may have something different than me.

JustAGuy69