STDs Community
Symptoms of STD

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Symptoms of STD

Hello Doctor,
I am at college at the moment, and im going back home this weekend for further analysis. If you could reply to my posting i would GREATLY appreciate it, these are my symptoms/story:

On January 3rd 2008 i received oral sex from a one time partner and thats all the sexual encounters i had for the past year. About three days after i started to feel a sort of pain/tingle at the tip of my penis. It didn't hurt but it was noticeable as i went on through out my day. So i went to the doctor's and i got tested for a UTI and it came negative. Then later on i felt some abdominal pain. As the weeks passed i think i spread what ever it is, to my eyes and anus. I think i urinated then itched my eye or something and now my eyes feel as if theres dust in them(but not). Then my testicle hurt as if i lifted a heavy object and symptoms started to snow ball. My eyes, penis, and anus all itched, but the anus and eyes not to the severity of the penis. Now it seemed to stop and i feel as if there is discharge coming from the penis but i look and there is nothing. Its now been 1 month and im having joint pains, headaches, stomach(gas) problems along with the tingle in the penis...
Could this all be Gonorrhea? NGU? or Herpes?
ps: I do not have any rashes, bilters, bumps or anything on my penis, my penis looks exactly as it did before infected.
First, nobody on this forum is a doctor.

Second, get yourself tested.  Your symptom onset time is consistent with gonorrhea, which is also the most likely oral cause of urethritis.  Your negative UTI test (I'm guessing a urinalysis?) is not a terrible idea, but they only catch about 70-80% of cases.  I'd definitely go for more specific testing if I were you.
Thank you so much for your reply, im actually going tomorrow to speak with a doctor as well. I found myself in a complete state of depression and i need to get this taken care of. As bad as it may sound, i was hoping for gon because its not a life long disease.. ill keep you posted. And if you have any other suggestions or hints as to what it may be i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you once again.
Hey i went to the doctors yesterday, he said its chlamydia so he gave me a pill and power to take in conjunction and my symptoms are slowly going away.. hopefully it does.

Do u know what the joint pain could be from though? its not as bad any more.. but he suggested it might have been from sports or whatnot but i didnt do anything strenuous, as i am i regular gym person.  
There is a condition called reactive arthritis, sometimes it's set off by a STD such as chlamydia.  I'm not saying that's what you have, I'm just pointing to it as a possibility. You can search for it on Google if you'd like to know more, but basically it should go away on its own over time.
yeah it started on friday, and its going away slowly

thank you
Is it curable if i do in fact have it? or is it a life long reoccurring thing? i read about it, and it sounds like i may have it, i may have a mild case of it because it doesnt really bother me that much. And its going away, does the Azithromycin (1g) single does take care of that as well? I also took a Ciprofloxacin 500mg pill too.

Maybe i should go get blood work so i can know for sure.
It's not really "curable" because there is no infectious agent involved after the STD is cleared.  But you can take things to reduce the symptoms, usually things which lower your immune system's response.  It's up to you if you think your symptoms are serious enough to pursue it, I honestly can't answer for you.

1g azithromycin should cure chlamydia.  I assume the 500 Cipro was for gonorrhea, which is a poor prescription (very high resistance rates, CDC does not recommend this type of treatment) but unfortunately not an uncommon one.  But since you have  chlamydia and not gonorrhea, you should be fine.  I'm not sure why the Cipro was prescribed in the first place.

How was your chlamydia diagnosis made?  Was it a urine DNA (NAAT) test?  A culture?  Or just a urinalysis?
I wish this one poster could read this. She repeatedly told another user you could not get chlamydia from oral sex because there were no documented cases. Even though I told the concerned poster that you could.
I didnt get any tests, i just told him my symptoms and he prescribed that medication, he said i likley had chlamydia but he would give me treatment for gonnoreah just in case since usually both are treated since they coincide with one another. Im planning on getting blood work done to test for reactive arthritis and also any STDs
(CONT.)

and also, the chlamydia totally subsided and the only thing thats bothering me now is the  muscle pain. I went to bed at 12 last night and couldnt fall asleep till 3. . its mainly in my legs and rushes down to my feet as if the blood is trying to come out of my body.. rather weird.. hopefully i get some meds.
Oh, no tests I see.  So I'd still stay based on your symptom onset it's more likely you had gonorrhea.  It's more probable to get from oral, and consistent with your symptoms.

Also, if it were gonorrhea, the joint pain could have been Disseminated Gonococcal Infection (DGI), which is sometimes called gonococcal arthritis.  DGI occurs when gonorrhea infection spreads to sites other than genitals, such as the blood, skin, heart, or joints.

Unfortunately, that means the Cipro has a pretty good chance of not working, as it's a fluoroquinolone, which many strains of gonorrhea are resistant to.  If your symptoms are clearing up, that's good news.

If I were you, I'd wait about 2 weeks and then take an actual urine NAAT to make sure the infection is cleared.  Especially because DGI can be a serious condition.  It's not to say that's what you had, I just think it's possible.
Yeah, thats what i told my doctor, he first said it might be NGU and but concluded with Chlamydia.. my genital area doesnt bother me anymore its just the muscles.. im actually in the the doctors office at school.. im going to see what they say. .lol its probally pointless.
hey i just noticed im urinating alot latley.. is there an explanation, is it due to the meds? My leg pain went away my doctor said it was anxiety which is totally understandbale..

thank youu