STDs Community
Syphilis Chancre in the Urethra?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Syphilis Chancre in the Urethra?

Dear All,

I've heard that it's possible for men to get syphilis chancres in the urethra, and therefore this avoids detection.  

Is this true? Does this happen?  I got tested 5 weeks post exposure for syphilis and it came up negative. It's been over 3 months now and I have had no symptoms at all.

Do I need to worry about syphilis at all at this point?

thanks
Even if you had a chancre in the urethra, syphilis would still be detected on a blood test.

I can't say if you need to be worried about it or not, as I don't know your risk factors, but generally, syphilis will show up on a test at 6 weeks, give or take. If you had a high risk encounter, you might want to test again now.

Aj
Dear Aj,

Thanks for responding.  It was a low risk encounter - unprotected oral.

thanks
Not a huge risk, but some risk.  If you are concerned, get tested.

Aj
Thanks again for responding.  Just another thing-- I took a week's course of Zithromax two weeks post potential exposure - 750 mg 2X / day.  I know that you will say if I am concerned, I should get tested, but based on this additional information, what would you say?  The zithromax would have taken care of it, if there had been anything, wouldn't it?

thanks, this is my last post.
It probably would have taken care of it.  And yes, test if you are concerned lol.