STDs Community
Syphilis Chancres

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Syphilis Chancres

I had unprotected oral/penetrative sex with a working girl 22 days ago. For the last few days I have been aware of an ulcer in my mouth situated on soft tissue below the gum. The UIcer/Chancres is about 2mm diameter, flat, soft with concave center (grey in colour)  painful to touch and also sensitive to food/hot/cold water. I have no other symptoms

Reading up on Syphilis it seems that a typical Chancres is pea size, hard and red/brown in colour.

My questions:
How common is a single Chancres inside the mouth as a primary syphilis symptom
Does this Chancres (as described) seem a probable indication of Syphilis  
If not Syphilis could this be symptomatic of Herpes or some other condition

1. If you get syphilis then you wold get a single canker at the point of infection.
2. In all likely hood it probably is not syphilis due the 2 factors. 1. Syphilis is rare in developed countries and due to your writing I assume you are not in a 3rd world country. And 2. Syphilis is rare in women.
3. Herpes is possible.

Since you had unprotected sex it is wise to test for all STD's and HIV.
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers