Syphilis-Dr.Thinks it is false positive?

I was wondering if anyone can help.

I am a 26 year old male living in UK. I have been in a relationship for over 4 years with my girlfriend and in this time she is the only person I have been with sexually. I have have only had unprotected sex twice before this partner and both times it was with long term partners. I have no reason to believe that my current girlfriend has been unfaithful. I know it is silly but I have only recently had my first full STD screening. Although HIV, Chlamydia and gonorrhea came back negative (I got the all clear) They said they need to test for Syphilis again.

The doctor told me they usually do a few tests for Syphilis, and whilst one of them came back negative (so he said I had not had it in the past) he said the other test has flagged something up and I need to be tested again as it will determine whether I have recently come in to contact with it.

I obviously know that I haven't recently been in contact with anyone with Syphilis and I am 100% neither has my partner. The Doctor said it is most likely 'false positive' but is this common? I am really stressed about it and want to know ASAP! When they re-test do they do the same blood test? If so, what if it is the same result?

any idea what testing was done? I assume it was blood testing.

has your gf had full std testing done too?

grace
Yes It was a blood test and she had a full screening at the start of our relationship and was all clear
can you find out if it was vdrl testing or tpha testing?
Not easily-

All I know is that the test had 3 parts. If I defiantly had it then at least 2 of the 3 would have to come up positive,as only 1 did they said it is unlikely unless I got it within the last month. They said when I get retested next month if I had it then 2 tests would show positive. They keep saying not to worry but i can't help it!