STDs Expert Forum
Syphilis and other STD RISK

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Syphilis and other STD RISK

Hello, please help me.  I am a 30 y o man and received an unprotected 4 minute oral, protected vaginal  (with hypoallergenic condom) and had a lot of kissing with a CSW in Brazil where gonorrhea and syphilis are the most common STD´s. I freaked and went to a pharmacy where they gave me ampicillin 3.5g probenecid 1g oral and 2x500 erytromycin oral, the latter with a similar dose 12 hrs after.

1 day after exposure I had a feeling of bubbling (like discharge but with none at all)
at 1 week and 6 week took a urine chlamydia test- Negative.
I applied hydrocortizone-clotrimazole cream for 7 days for the bubbling. There was a red area in glans (glands) after this but healed in one day.
During later month I have had some testicular pain but maybe it was anxiety because of tests and treatment.
Week 7 went to urologyst and told me I had nothing.
At week 8 I felt little pain in glans (glands).
Week 10 I have not seen a chancre in penis nor mouth but Im afraid it was in throat since I have had some little pain there that has not gone away or maybe the cortizone cream didnt let the chancre develop in penis. Also I have seen two kinds of rash. one is like 20 spots of mosquito bites in total little itchy  in arms and head that go away in a day and some come back. The second are many little flesh colored round raised 1mm bumps in my face above the eyebrows, sometimes some of them turn red for some hours. these have not gone away since I noticed them but I might have had them always.  I have also three little balls about 1mm in inside arms that are pink colored.  

At week 12 I made a VDRL and HIV- both Negative

Am I at risk for syphilis or other STD from this exposure? can I trust a VDRL at 12 weeks? I am at week 14 with  the rashes and anxiety.

Another question the HIV test I took was not ELISA, was by a method called chemoluminesence (or something like that), is the window period the same 12 weeks as a normal ELISA?

Thank you very much,
Welcome to the STD forum.

There are a number of reasons to be confident you don't have syphilis or any other STD from the sexual exposure you describe.  Each of these reasons is 100% proof against infection; the combination of all of them should convince your.

1) The exposure was condom-protected, there was no risk for syphilis, gonorrhea, or any other STD.  2) No STD can start to cause symptoms in under 2-3 days.  3) No STD causes pain in the glans (glands) penis. 4) The rash you describe doesn't sound like that of syphilis, HIV, or any STD.  5) The antibiotics you received provided definite (100%) protection against syphilis and probably would have been around 70% effective in preventing gonorrhea.  6) A urologist's assurance against STD is very reliable.  7) Negative VDRL and HIV blood tests at 12 weeks are 100% proof against those infections.  Chemoluminescence technology has the same window period as ELISA.

You have obviously overreacted to a sexual exposure you regret.  Since a condom was used, no testing was necessary.  For sure you caught no STD, and you don't need any further testing.

Regards--  HHH, MD
And sorry for this last question, how likely was to catch gonorrhea or chlamydia by kissing a lot? thank you very much for your help
Neither these nor any other STDs are transmitted by kissing.
Thank you very much Doctor, I follow a lot your replies in this forum and I have a lot of confidence in you.

I have the doubt if you missed in your reply 1 that the oral was unprotected and that if I could have gonorrhea or chlamydia in throat due to kissing. THANKS A LOT.
Sorry, I missed that the oral was unprotected.  Still, as you can tell from all the reasons I gave, it remains impossible you had any STD from that event.  I already answered about kissing.
Thank you very much, it helps a lot to hear from a person with so much experience and who is seeing the situation from the outside. I am very relieved with your response. Have a nice weekend.