Syphilis from Oral
Dear All,

I have read a zillion posts regarding getting Syphilis from oral receiving as a man and I know that the chances are miniscule, but the chances are there.  I was just wondering:  has anyone here gotten Syphilis from oral or known anyone who did?  For those of you in the medical profession, have you seen this happen and if so, how often in relation to transfer via vaginal/anal sex?

thanks a bunch
People have posted here saying they have syphilis. I don't remember anyone who posted after getting oral sex saying they got syphilis. And I have been here helping for over a year.

Dr's do not post here so you would have to pay and post in the expert forum if you want there advice.

Syphilis is rare in developed countries and rare in women. So if you got oral sex in a developed country from a woman your risk is very very very low.

But you would also get symptoms...first a canker at the point of infection (on your penis) and if you did then you can transfer it to someone else at that point. Syphilis is not transfered without that canker.
And to add it is from canker to skin contact.
Thanks Vance.  You're one of the beacons on this website, I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates your help.  I wrote to Dr. Hook regarding my situation and I'm sweating out the weeks until I can test (as usual, one of those stupid drunken things that as a married man I never thought I would ever, ever do).

Dr. Hook told me about the probabilities, but you still worry.  I was just asking to see what the medhelp stats were on the subject.

BTW no symptoms.
No symptoms...no canker then no worries. Canker comes at about 21 days. So if you don't get that canker then you don't have syphilis.

And Dr.Hook is more wise then I so believe everything he tells you.
I definitely "believe" it in the rational sense, but sometimes the anxiety takes off.  I really feel for the people on here who let it get the best of them, because sometimes it's hard not to.  I'm just thankful that I tend to do well under stress.

I'm at 19 days right now.  Hence the increased worry.
Dear Aj,

Vance has been kind enough to share his experience with me -- I know that you work in a clinic, is that right?  I would appreciate it if you could let me know what your experience has been.
AJ does not post here that often anymore. But will let her know you have asked her to comment on something.
Hi there -

I don't get a chance to post nearly as much now as I have a new job, so sorry about that.  I do post when Vance lets me know that someone is asking for me.

Syphilis can be transmitted by oral sex, but it's not as likely from oral as it is from intercourse.  Syphilis is also uncommon in the US and other developed countries.  It's not something I'd worry about.  The chancre would appear in or on your mouth if you got one.

Keep in mind that guilt does not equal risk.  

Aj

Dear Aj,

Thanks for taking the time to post.  I like your quote about guilt not equalling risk.  Too true.

One more question:  have you ever personally seen a case of oral syphilis?
I have, but not many.  I actually haven't seen that many syphilis infections compared to chlamydia or gonorrhea.  

Was your partner male or female?  There is a *slightly* higher chance if your partner was male, but it's still not that high.   In 2007 (the last year we have national data for), there were 11,466 reported cases of primary and secondary syphilis in the US.  It's up since then, but that's still not a lot.  That same year, there were 1,108,374 chlamydial infections were reported to CDC from 50 states and the District of Columbia.  (That's from the CDC.)  Not all cases of any STD are reported, but you can see the difference.

You don't deserve some kind of std because you cheated, so don't let your brain go there, either.  Guilt doesn't make you infected.  Trust me when I say it will be easier to get counseling now than 6 months from now when you have driven yourself (and your loved ones) crazy.

Aj

to the original poster--I posted about my contraction of syphilis yesterday. In short-I am a heterosexual male and had a random hookup with a woman in Toronto. Protected vaginal sex and unprotected ********. About 10-11 weeks later a chanker appeared on my penis. Went to dr who sent me for blood tests for hiv, herpes 1 and 2 and syphilis. He also took culture of the chanker. Postive for for syphilis on the culter and blood test and neg for all the others. Without going into the other details of my post, I am assuming the unprotected ******** is what did it (perhaps she had a sore in her mouth and may not have known about it?). This was my only sex, protected or otherwise for well over a year so this was the sxposure. It can happen. I guess the moral of the story is to "jimmy up" even for a ******** no matter what, unless you are in a monogamous relationship with someone and you both get tested prior to unprotected sex of any kind. Hope your situation works out for the best
xxx out stuff above is "fellatio"
So is not 21 days? The canker could come out in 10-11 weeks??? That is 70 or 77 days? Are you sure ??
It's interesting that on the 15th you said that the chancre appeared 8 weeks post-exposure.  Are you sure about the timing here?
Is it true that the cranker sore to show up in 10-11 weeks after the exposure? (according to noname32 above).

I thought according to Vance2335, cranker sore will show up by 21 days. Means if pass 21 days mark, then is safe? Can I say that?

Is it 95% of men will show cranker sore by 21 days?

Please advice.
By no means have I actually seen a case, but from all of the reading I have done 11 weeks is either no possible or very rare. But will get with AJ and see what she thinks.
I believe the chanker appeared at least 2 months after.
OK lets all calm down here.

First, I haven't read noname32's other posts, so I can't comment on his timing.  

A chancre can technically appear within 10-90 days, but the average is 21 days.  Far and away, they will appear by 6 weeks.  

Oral transmission happens, but is not common.  Drs. Hook and Handsfield call it rare.  I call it unlikely.  Whatever - same thing.  Actually, getting syphilis at all is uncommon.  I'd guess that even with the increases in syphilis infections, there are probably 20,000 that occur in the US each year.  Canada has similar rates.  Most syphilis infections today happen in men who have sex with men.

I think what most of you are feeling is panic over an indiscretion, and not real risk.  Syphilis is not common, but does happen.  If I had an opposite-sex sexual encounter with oral only, I wouldn't worry about syphilis at all.  If I had sex with someone of the opposite sex, I'd test after, and I'd include a syphilis test, but only because a good std exam includes testing for all possibilities.  If I didn't have insurance, I might not include it.  If I were a man who had sex with men, I'd definitely test, only because rates are higher for MSM, but I still wouldn't panic.

Just calm down, and remember that guilt/fear/shame does not equal risk.

A man received unprotected oral sex from a CSW, what is the % of getting Syphilis?

How common is oral syphilis?
I read the threads in this forum that HIV is no risk for unprotected oral sex.

However, I read some articles from CDC that unprotected oral sex has a very low risk for HIV due to bleeding gum, dental work etc.

Does it means that the blood from the dental work, bleeding gum enter the penis hole or infected through the penis head???
Checkup63-I have to ask that you stay to your own thread when asking questions. I will answers these here but anything else stay to your thread.

Syphilis is rare. In America only 20,000 cases last year. And syphilis in a woman is even rarer. And the Dr's state that 1/2 of all of those who encounter syphilis will not get infected.

HIV is not a risk with oral sex. The CDC states a theroritical risk. That is just like saying, in theory the sun could burn out tomorrow due to this or that. While possible, it is not going to happen.
And HIV questions need to be addressed in the HIV Prevention forum.