Syphilis sore treatment
I am mortified to say this but I was diagnosed with syphilis and started doxycycline yesterday (2-15-13). I have 2 sores on my lip, sort of inside.
How long will it take to go away? Is there anything I can put on them? Should I be washing them or something? And (ewww) this stuff is coming off like a yellowish semi-crusty discharge.
are you allergic to penicillin?

what testing was done for syphilis?

grace
I am allergic so no penicillin for me.
Well they did a blood test 6 weeks ago and it was neg for Syphilis. So they put me on Valtrex. 6 weeks later it was still there and they sent me for an emergency ENT appointment. She biopsied it and made me get a CT scan...thinking it was cancer.
Biopsy results came back poz for syphilis. SOOOooo not doxycycline twice a day for a month.
BUT I have the sores on my inner lip and would like to put something on them that will help to clear them up.
they didn't bother repeating your syphilis blood testing again?

you only need doxycycline for 14 days, not a full month. did your provider say why they were doing it twice as long?

usually sores in the inner lips are canker sores. they go away on their own in time. plenty of otc treatments if they are causing you discomfort. Usually just using a regular mouthwash helps them to heal a little faster too.  unfortunately they can linger for a week easily. if they are there longer than that, be seen again to make sure it's not something else going on.
Hi Grace,
I have had them for 6 weeks, They are now changing and obviously healing with the antibiotics.
So I am dunking them in peroxide and then rinsing and applying antibiotic creme.
On top of the antibiotic creme I am applying a little bit of the powder from one of the doxycycline pills. This seems to be shrinking them and they are not as thick and painful.
I meet with an infectious disease doctor on Thursday for further conversation and treatment plan.
Wish me luck!

Ryan
no antibiotic cream on the lips!!!  it's not meant to be used there.  no topical doxy powder either. you should be swallowing it, not using it topically. it isn't formulated to be used that way.
OK