STDs Community
Syphillis Contraction

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Syphillis Contraction

Hi Guys

I've just Joined Medhelp.

I am a Male and I recently received unprotected oral from a Female sexual worker,  I know it was a really stupid thing to do and I completely regret it.

This was two weeks ago, tomorrow i will be going for a chlamydia and gonorrhea test, I know there is some risk of Syphilis as well as the other two mentioned.
What I would like to know is, as I saw no visible signs of syphilis chancres around her mouth, would I be a great risk?
I mean does my penis need to actually touch the chancre to contract syphilis?

I would greatly appreciate some advice? As I keep seeing mixed information on the web.
Unprotected oral is low risk for std transmission. It is great that you plan to get checked out tomorrow but it really is not warranted from an exposure such as oral sex unless symptoms had appeared. However, we do not mean for the individual not to get tested unless he or she really wants to. Yes, it is true that in order to contract syphilis you need to come into contact with a chancre but, even without one, by chance, you could contract it. But the good news is that syphilis is rare amongst people in developed countries such as the US and most female sex workers do not have stds. They are often checked out for not only their benefit but for their client's benefit. If you are going to get tested for syphilis, you might need to hold it off for another two or four weeks for better results. It is okay to get tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia now.
Thank you Aelly thats brilliant, I'm from the UK so thats cool.
Do you know hoe long it usually takes for symptoms of syphilis to appear, this was 14 days ago and i've not really seen anything as of yet.
The UK has fabulous medical clinics in London, especially in Harley street. Syphilis usually takes about 10-90 days for symptoms to appear, that is, if symptoms actually do appear. But, it is safe to test four to six weeks post exposure for absolute and complete results to come through. Symptoms for syphilis can be imitating and symptoms can be usually something else. There has been instances in which people manage to bypass primary syphilis through asymptomatic process but I cannot be certain. But, I do not think you have anything to worry about from this exposure, especially, from oral sex. Here is another thing: Oral syphilis is highly rare so if she did have it, I think she would have known something strange about it in her mouth. The likelihood of you having syphilis is quite tiny, particularly in reception of oral sex.
Thank you so much, Thats really good to know. Just as a reference what would the initial signs of a chancre appearing? do they start off by looking like a blemish?

thank you in advance
really this is not worth this much worry about.

unless you develop any genital symptoms - discharge, itching, pain - no reason for any testing.

grace
Thanks Grace,
I'm going for a screening for chlamedia and gonorrhea in a couple of hours anyway just to be on the safe side.
But thank you both for your advice and help.
Hi guys i just got my result for chlamedia and gonorrhea and i'm negative for both, so do you think it's cool and there's no need for syphillis (syphilis) screening?
already discussed your lack of a need for testing dear.