STDs Community
Syphillis or just hemorrhoid

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Syphillis or just hemorrhoid

I am a 29 year old male. Exactly 4 weeks back I visited Thailand and had protected sex with a female sex worker. 2 days after this event, I developed a swelling in my anus which persisted for 3 days before I decided to go to a doctor. The doctor diagnosed it as 'external piles thrombosis' aka hemorrhoid and prescribed a round of antibiotics. After 5 days, the swelling was gone and I assumed that the hemorrhoid just went away. However, following that, I had a few additional symptoms which greatly concerns me now:
- Beginning of week 3, I developed a sore throat which killed my voice for a couple of days. This was unaccompanied by common cold or any flu like symptoms.
- In the middle of the 3rd week, I had a splitting headache which lasted a whole day. At the time I thought that it was just a hangover.
- In the same period (beginning to mid week 3), I started developing some kind of a lump/ swollen veins around the anus area (some distance away from the rectum this time). This condition is certainly not painful as the first hemorrhoid, but it is a little sore nevertheless.
- Finally, over weeks 3 and 4, I have intermittently felt a little feverish (this could just be my paranoia).

Can someone please advise if these symptoms could imply syphillis (syphilis)? Did the doctor wrongly diagnose my initial condition as a hemorrhoid? Please help!
most of your symptoms sound like a viral upper respiratory infection which are very common this time of the year.  you've been seen and had your anal area looked at and it's very easy to diagnose hemorrhoids. as you already know, they don't go away easily and will come back frequently if you don't fix the problems causing them.

we recommend protected sex because it works! herpes, hpv and syphilis are the main risks from protected sex and the risk of all 3 is pretty low from a one time encounter.  we don't even recommend testing for them unless you have a regular partner to protect.

grace