STDs Community
THRUSH QUESTION!!! BUGGING OUT PLEASE HELP!

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Hey, so this is my first posting but Im extremely nervous. Yesterday I went to the doctor due to a white patch on the back of my throat and also what looked like skin that was peeling or cut up on the insides of my cheeks. My doctor told me that I might have thrush and due to the fact that I have been with both men and women sexually need to go get tested for HIV since according to her "only small babies and old people tend to get thrush so since your 20 and you may have it you might be at risk due to it being a symptom of HIV/AIDS". Is what she said true? also I have only had oral sex never vaginal or anal, however one time someone did cum in my mouth. Also from what I have been hearing about thrush my case seems to be different because nothing wiped off when i touch it and it didnt bleed and im not in extreme pain... so could this just be something else and im worrying for no reason? sorry im just not really out to anyone in my family and i wont know the results till monday so im kind of just in this alone right now and am pretty scared.  

thanks
Oh also I saw online how thrush can come about due to poor dental hygiene especially if there are dentures or retainers involved. I do wear retainers at night and dont really clean them ever and only brush my teeth about once a day or so... also i smoke weed allot and i read another cause could be because of dry mouth cause from smoking too much... is this information true?
For healthy people, oral thrush is a minor problem. But it may be more severe and difficult to control for people who have a weakened immune system.

Oral thrush most commonly affects people who wear dentures. People who have difficulty keeping their mouth clean, people with diabetes and those who take steroids are also at a higher risk of developing the condition.

Some antibiotics may cause thrush, especially if taken over a long period. A dry mouth caused by certain drugs, or after chemotherapy or radiotherapy to the head and neck, may also lead to thrush. Very RARELY, oral thrush is one of the early signs of HIV.

Signs and symptoms may develop suddenly, but they may persist for a long time and can include:

A cottony feeling in the mouth ,Cracking at the corners of your mouth,
Creamy, white lesions on the tongue, inner cheeks and sometimes on the roof of the mouth, gums and tonsils.

thats why I dont think I have thrush because what was on the side of my mouth wasnt creams or white it just looked like dead skin was peeling and was on the back of my throat doesnt look creamy either... she put me on medication just 2 pills for some strange reason... I took the first one yesterday and the second pill 2day yet what was on the side of my mouth is already gone if it was thrush could it really have worked that quickly?
does anyone know anything else about it besides the copy and paste answer that i recieved that ive read on multiple websites lol... sorry just really wish i had someone to confide in instead of just silently suffering until monday when i get my results
Hi, I too just had a bout with oral thrush. When reading about it online, the main causes always seemed to be age (infants get it), menopause, or AIDS. Being a straight, 37 y.o. male, I didn't think I qualified for any of those. But, I had adult braces taken off last July and have been wearing essix retainers since. I cleaned them religiously for the first 6 months but then went to only wearing them while sleeping in January and have barely cleaned them once or twice since then. Both my doctor and my orthodontist agree that my thrush is likely caused by (very) dirty retainers. My guess is that you're in the same boat if you had thrush. On another note, you sound like my kind of girl.....maybe we can meet at 4:20?
Oral sex is not a means of HIV transmission. It may be a transmission for many other stds such as gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, and herpes, but, the risk is low. Never have experts believe that HIV can be transmitted by oral sex because the saliva in your system inhibits the virus, rendering it useless. Since you said it was only oral sex, HIV should not be of concern. If your partner did ejaculate in your mouth, it would not mean you would be at risk. If it concerns you much, get a second opinion with one of our experts online or seek another doctor. HealthAdvisory is correct with the information present. It could be poor dental hygiene and it could be possible that your retainers could have been contaminated due to poor cleaning.
Hi confused I have seen you post about a ton of different stuff that you think you might have.  Brother I think you are healthy and really have a condition called "GAD" which is genarilzed anxiety disorder.  You should really go and see a "head" doctor.  He will suggest something like a combination of Xanax "for your anxiety" with something like Lexapro or Paxil.  I think this would really help you!  I say this out of experience because I used to be quite a worry wart.  I still do worry a bit but it is more under control now.  Just trying to help!  Take care....  Try to chill out some... Your really gonna make yourself sick....
I concur. Thank you for your input.