STDs Community
Tea Tree Oil on Glans(glands)

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Tea Tree Oil on Glans(glands)

I recently had what was a small discoloration on the head of my penis and I used some tea tree oil on it.  After using it for a couple of days I had a red splotchiness on the head of my penis and just underneath the head.  Is this a symptom of an STI, or was it caused by using the tea tree oil?  I have never had a reaction like this and use tea tree oil all the time, but I have never used it on a sensitive area like this.
Tea tree oil is not suppose to cause irritation or anything on the skin, as is a natural and safe product.  The natural apporach of this oil use is good.    There are however no studies of application the penis.    Be careful what you put on your penis, no more tree oil for a while until you have discussed this with an MD/TCM physican or a respective homeopathic medical provider who would know of such things.  

Have you had sex recently?  (did you have a sexual exposure?)  

I
I have had sex recently, yes.  I did a google search that directed me to a yahoo answers post about 2 years ago where a guy had the same question as me after using 100% tea tree oil on the head of his penis.  He said the result was redness in the same pattern as I experianced.  Some one answered him and said that you should never use undiluted tea tree oil on sensitive surfaces...?
Sounds correct.  

I am not well versed in chemicals and natural products effects on penile, vaginal tissues.  

Its always good to know what one is allergic to and what one is not.  A good rule of thumb is to use water based stuff for lotions and lubes or things of that nature.   And to know not to put anything on your penis.

actually tea tree oil is very irritating and shouldn't be used full strength.  Even if you've used it many times in the past, you can have reactions to it at any time.

at this point stop using tto for a day and see if it gets better. if it's doesn't. see your provider for a proper exam.

grace
lousy, dishonest, ---melaleuca company... sorry venting for getting cheated out of my natural products.
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers