STDs Community
Test Results for Chlamydia

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Test Results for Chlamydia

I recently started showing symptoms of either a STD or a UTI so I went to the Dr. to get check out. Well the urine test came back positive for Chlamydia. I've been in a relationship for the past 2 years and have been having unprotected sex for a while with her. I have been completely faithful but when I confronted her she  admitted to cheating on me but the STD was news to her because she had never experienced any symptoms. She went right away and got tested in the ER. Needless to say her test came back negative and now she's trying to say I cheated. I've been completely honest and faithful in this relationship. My question is what are the possiblities that her test was a false negative or mines was a false positive and i actually had a UTI or something of that nature?  Thank you in advance for your help!
Hello johann186

I am sorry to hear about both the bad news you've recently received.  

From experience and reading these forums (you learn something everyday --- I just did!)

The chances of false tests do happen, though they aren't suppose to, they do happen.
Maybe she received the false negative, maybe she didn't --we don't know, either that or indeed she was infected and it cleared up on its own, and the test showed that she didn't have it anymore.  Many things could have happened here.  Also your test could have been wrong, but that is less likely since you presented symptoms.

In the end its pretty hard even with admittance to unfaithfulness who had what to begin with --- I know its a mess.    

Best of luck on your relationship.  
do you know what testing your gf had?

she should be seen by her gyn and get a full internal exam and testing done as well as cover her other std bases.  make sure herpes is included in her testing too since it's not a part of routine std testing.

what testing did you have done?

grace
When I went to the Dr. they did two test. I'm not sure what was the proper name of the first test but whatever it was it only told a matter of minutes to get results. However, this test came back negative for me, But as I said I had symptoms of either a urinary tract infection or a STD so my Dr ordered another test to be done which took two days which came back positive. On the lab report itself it said something to the effect of GC ampilified DNA as the test.... I'm not entirely sure but I'm thinking that is the same as the Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT).

My GF however went to the ER as I stated and got results back in about a hour or two. So I don't know what test she got but I think she didn't have a NAAT which from what I understand is like the top of the line when it comes to testing.
Thank you for your support.  I'm starting to think that she might just be lying about the test results as well though because obviously things are not what I thought they were but there is still a small part of me that really wants to know the truth in full.

And yes I did show symptoms but I was wondering how common is it that you can be misdiagnosed with Chlamydia when you actually have a urinary tract infection? thanks again
did you have urine testing done?  false positive chlamydia testing does occur but you had symptoms and a + test so odds are yours was a true positive.

did she have urine testing done or a swab of her cervix?  has she been on antibiotics since her affair for any reason?

since there seems to be several issues goes on, ask her to repeat all her testing and to share her full results with you if you are planning on working through this issue together just to err on the side of caution.
All of my testing was done via urine. Now for her "supposedly" ( I don't know if her word is trustworthly now) she had both a urine test and a swab and it came back negative. I don't think she has been on any antibiotics since then but I'm not entirely sure but that is a good point that I will check on. Thanks for your help also!!