STDs Community
Test result question

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Test result question

So I got tested at a clinic more than two years after a sexual encounter.  They tested for syphilis, gonorrhea, and HIV.  I called them after I took the test to confirm if they tested for HIV-1 and HIV-2, or just HIV-1.  I was told over the phone that they test for both, that is why they send it out instead of doing rapid testing.  When I called for my results a couple weeks later, I was told "syphilis negative, gonorrhea negative, HIV negative."  

My question about the results are why when my results where read did they not say "HIV-1 negative, HIV-2 negative?"  If they tested for both would they have specified I was negative for both when they read the results?  I assume that the lab they sent it to did a non type specific HIV-1/2 test first that came back negative, and that is why when the results where given they just said "HIV negative."  Sorry, my slight paranoia kicked in in this situation.  I should trust that when I asked if they test for both they gave me an honest answer, but my mind went, "what if they just gave me a quick answer just to get me off the phone so they could leave?" or something like that.  So can I finally let out a sigh of relief and close the book on this?  Am I clear of HIV-1 and HIV-2?
Hi and welcome. Your test results were negative and thats it. Simple, short and sweet. Just leave this behind you and go enjoy the life that God has given you. Help others in need.
So based on my situation, when they said "HIV negative" they tested for both, yes?
Also, is it standard to test for HIV-1 and HIV-2?  Labs don't test for only HIV-1 anymore they test for both types?  Based on my first post does my result mean I am negative for HIV-1 and HIV-2?
Post in the HIV forum.