STDs Expert Forum
Testing reliability for syphilis
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Testing reliability for syphilis

Dear Dr, I stupidly performed unprotected oral sex on a man whose sexual history I don't know about two weeks ago (he didn't ejaculate). I was probably obsessing, but I felt like I was getting a sore throat and hurting glands afterwards. I had a blood and urine test for all the most common and dangerous STDs a week after that, and everything came back negative. Anyway, over the next week I started to feel a bit unwell, with a sore throat and hurting glands in my throat, my tongue became kind of furry, and I got something like a small mouth ulcer on the roof of my mouth. I realize that I could just be isolating all these symptoms from others just because I know that they indicate syphilis infection, but I started to freak out that I had taken the test too early and it had returned a false negative. So I went to the doctor yesterday and requested another blood test, the results of which will come back in a couple of days. If I'm honest with myself, I guess I expect it to be negative too - but that doesn't stop me stressing out. I guess I want to know how reliable the syphilis blood test is, particularly in the early stages of infection - and whether, once the symptoms of primary infection are showing, there is a chance that the things the test is looking for might not show up. If I have these two blood tests saying that I'm negative for syphilis can I basically be confident that I really don't have it and move on?