STDs Expert Forum
The risk of contracting STD from Cunnling

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello Dr. Hunter.

I have read much of this forum and am more than anxious to hear your opinion.  What are the risks of contracting an STD or STI from Cunnling? No legions or sores were noticed when she presented herself and all that I came in contact with was libia and clit.  I purposely tried to stay away from her vaginal opening. The experience lasted about 3 minutes until I stopped. I immediately used mouth wash to clear my mouth and then drank water.  I don't remember her being particular wet.  Please, provide your opinion.

Thank you
Welcoe to our Forum.  Even before we discuss cunnilingus, please remember that while you say nothing about your partner, most people do not have STDs and of this who do, most exposures do not lead to transmission of infection.  In addition, in general oral sex is an inefficient way to transmit STDs and of different forms of oral sex, cunnilingus is probably least likely to lead to infection..  Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea is transmitted to the throat through cunnilingus with any meanigful frequency; chlamydia is not and without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner’s mouth, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny.   Most throat infections with STDs are asymptomatic so if you are worried, you could seek a throat test for gonorrhea.  As I said however, in your case, your exposure was brief and I would urge you not to worry.

I hope these comments are helpful.  EWH
Thank you for your quick response.  I am a little confused about "chlamydia is not and without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner’s mouth, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny."  Did you mean vagina instead of mouth?  

Also, when would be a good time to be tested for any STD/STIs? It's been a week. Is that too soon for any real results on an STD screening?
Sorry, that was a typo.  Indeed, it sould have read, "unless there was a sore or a lesion on your partner's vagina....:"

As far as testing is concerned, testing for typical bacterial STDs is accurate at any time  2-3 days after your exposure.  You can anticipate accurate results at this time. We do not recommend blood tests for herpes in this setting as your chances of having afalsely positive test result are far higher than your risk of herpes which could be diagnosed in this way.  EWH
Thank you for clarifying that for me.  I want to understand herpes a little bit more.  I know  you had said that the chances were slim as far as herpes or syphilis are concerned especially without sores being present but assume that they were contagious at the time and I had missed something.  If the person I was pleasuring had genital herpes would I therefore contract genital herpes?  I read somewhere on the internet that herpes is localized to the infected area. Does that mean if they had genital herpes I would only get oral herpes? I did test for bacterial STDs and it came back negative. I'm just not sure if I should eventually test for viral STDs as I do not want to spread anything to my other partner.  Dr. Hook your advice is much appreciated.
Your question is hard to follow. I think the statements below will address your questions:

Herpes is spread through DIRECT contact with the spread occurring at the point of contact.  If you aquired infection through perfroming oral sex, you would get oral infection/lesons, not at other locations on the body.

Even if you were exposed to an infected person through oral sex, that does not assure infection.  Just as you interactr regualrly with others who have colds or the flu and don't get infected, the same is true for HSV- every exposure does not result in transmission of infection.  In fact, most do not.  EWH
Is syphilis much like herpes where it is only spread through direct contact and will only infect the mouth? I just want to make sure that I know where to look for lesions of any type. Trust me I'm listening to you when you say my chances are low but I'd like to be educated. Are there any other stds I'd need to check for beside the afore mentioned?
Correct, if you got syphilis you would develop mouth lesions.  Please read my original reply regarding other infections as I am tired of repeating myself.  EWH