STDs Expert Forum
Things to Look for after unprotected Oral

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hi, I had unprotected oral sex with an escort, both giving and receiving (and we both apparently finished this way). She did not have any unpleasant smells down there.  I also inserted a digit in her anus and vagina.  No vaginal intercourse.  This was 5 days ago, and I have no symptoms to report except a slightly dry and sore throat, although I think a cold was coming on before the trip, and there was alot of flying in a short amount of time.  Question is, other than the obvious penis burning with strange discharge, is there anything to look for that would indicate an STD concern.  I have read your prior discussions on HIV risk, which I understand is minimal.  Is there any other tests that I should consider taking to check for STD's, and how long should I wait? My last experience with something like this, (same types of activities), led me down a costly battery of test, which all came back negative, and reading your advice, was I believe totally unnecessary.  An online testing service essentially suggested I get everything tested at a cost of several $hundred dollars.  I have a regular partner that I do not want to expose her to anything.   Thanks, and I definitely am a bit paranoid.  
Personally, I would say there is no reason for testing unless you notice symptoms.  That is not to deny that there is a small chance that you could miss an asymptomatic infection that way.  If you wish to get tested, rather than the entire battery of tests, the only tests that I would suggest are a throat culture for gonorrhea and test of either urine or a penile swab for gonorrhea and chlamydia.  The evanescent yield of any other testing, in the absence of symptoms would make other tests a waste of your time and money.  Hope this helps. EWH
When you speak of small chances, how small is that, if you are able to quantify.  If my throat is getting a little scratchier, is that a concern?  Lastly, are there any online testing services that can perform the types of tests that you mention.   thanks for the  quick responses.  
Your odds of infection are far less than 1 in 100, over all.

Symptoms, as I said before, are irrelevant.

The on-line services do not offer cultures which, at present are the only recommended tests for pharyngeal gonorrhea.  They do the other tests.  We do not refer to specific services however, sorry.  EWH
Hopefully my last question for you.  Went to a clinic and everything checked out OK.  They did not do a throat swab, however, even when I described to you the events that I described above.  The feedback was that they would be most concerned with oral performed on me, and not vice versa.  I nevertheless still have a tickle in my throat for the past few weeks.  A little dry in the morning, with some phlegm that builds up in my chest.  It really does not bother me during the day (although I feel it a little when I swallow).  Not sure if its more likely a cold or allergies (although I am not generally subject to pollen type allergies).  Is this something that I should be worried about and have looked at?  Thanks
Nope, no need to worry.  EWH