STDS
FORUM
Throat Gonorrhea
by JoeFB, Feb 01, 2011
I performed cunnilingus on someone.  She had also performed oral sex on me.  I became concerned and went to a clinic one week later to be tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia.  Provided urine sample, and results came back negative.  Two weeks after the encounter my throat became sore.  I also have a fever.  I saw a doctor.  They took a throat swab and results came back that I have strep throat.  I am about to be treated with penicillin.  I just began to wonder now if I could have contracted gonorrhea or chlamydia in the throat.  Would the positive strep throat culture be an indicator of the chlamydia or gonorrhea bacteria; would the lab know the difference?  Should I be concerned, or just take the penicillin and consider it a coincidence that I got "strep" such a short time after this rare encounter?      
Answer:
by Edward W Hook, MDBlank, Feb 01, 2011
Welcome to the Forum.  I'll be happy to help.  Gonorrhea can infect the throat and persons with gonorrhea can pass it to others through oral sex.  Fortunately this is rare, not only because most people do not have gonorrhea but also because throat infections do not seem to "take hold" quite as easily as genital infections, nor be passed as easily.  Since you were tested, you can be completely confident that you did not get gonorrhea through receipt of oral sex.  If you had, the test would have been positive.  As for having gotten gonorrhea from performing cunnilingus on a partner, chances are rare and I am confident that your strep throat has nothing to do with the possibility of gonorrhea since almost all gonorrhea throat infections do not cause symptoms at all.  If you are concerned about having gotten gonorrhea of the throat, you could ask to have a throat swab taken for a gonorrhea test.  Personally, I would not both.

As you've read this you've probably why I've spoken about gonorrhea but not chlamydia.  It is because chlamydial throat infections, for all practical purposes are so incredibly rare as to not be a concern.  Neither we nor the CDC recommend testing of throats for chlamydia because it is so rare as to just not be practical.  

One final comment.  Even when people get gonococcal throat infections, they rarely cause problems and available data suggest that most such infections actually resolve (i.e. cure themselves) without therapy.

My advice, don't worry.  Get your strep throat treated and move forward.  I hope my comments are helpful to you.  EWH
Member Comments (1)