STDs Expert Forum
Tingling symptoms

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Tingling symptoms

I had unprotected mutual masterbation (masturbation) with someone 1 1/2 months ago.  He also did lick my scrotum.  About 4 days later i had tingling in my scrotum.  This has last now 5 weeks and i'm worried this is herpes.  I had a herpes test done after 2 weeks and came back positve for HSV 1 and possible recent exposure on type 2.  The lab said to retest in a few weeks that the positive could be an outbreak of type 1.  I retested at 1 month for type 2 and it came back negative.
The tingling in my scrotum has not stopped.  After 2 weeks I started getting tingling like pin and needles down my lower legs and the top of my feet.  I had a rash outbreak for 2 days on the top of my feet and palms of hands as well.  I tested negative for STD's at clinic.  The tingling in my legs lasted a bout a week and a half then i started getting a lot of twitching in my calves and feet.  Never had an outbreak or fever.  Does this sound like herpes?  Is the second herpes test I had done a 1 month accurate?  The tingling is very annoying.
Thank you for the help
The symptoms don't sound like herpes.

Your description of the herpes test result suggests you had one of the older, unreliable blood tests.  "Posible recent exposure" implies that the test showed IgM antibody to HSV-2.  All tests that distinguish IgM vs IgG antibody are invalid in distinguishing between antibody to HSV-1 vs HSV-2.  You need to be retested using the HerpeSelect HSV-1 and HSV-2 tests.  If your provider is unfamiliar, tell him/her they are available at Quest Labs, a large national laboratory.

The odds are that you are chronically infected with HSV-1, probably acquired in or around your mouth in childhood, and don't have HSV-2.  It is very unlikely your symptoms aren't due to either HSV-1 or HSV-2 (or to any other STD), and I doubt they are related to the sexual encounter you describe--unless they derive from anxiety about the event.  But I really can't speculate further about the cause; if the symptoms persist, ask your provider for a referral to a neurologist.

Good luck--   HHH, MD
I also have a similar tingling problem. Its in the inner thighs and  crease area of both sides.
I also think I got it after sex because that was the first time I had sex and 5-6 days later and till now I have this occassional tingling problem every 2 times a month for 1 whole week.
I also seriously doubted it is herpes and got checked by 2 std docs, 2 gps. They all said its stress, but that was of no help.
I got 2 tests done at 3 months and 4.5 months and both were negative.
My ques. to doctor is I also had IgG tests for hsv1, 2 both times. Because both were negative, is it okay to assume that I don't have herpes or should I get retested again in few months.
I still have tingling problem. Is this a neurology problem ?
Thanks,
Tony

PS: I've been trying since long to post and I ready to pay but I never get the chance. It says limit reached. Please answer doctor.
hello Dear Doctor,
I got a chance to post my question as a different thread. So you can ignore this if you like.
thanks,
tony123
Tony123, please inform me of any outcome to your problem cos I'm also suffering from the same symptoms and I have been suffering like this for years now. I will try by all means to post any information I find to you ASAP.

I would not mind if you could add my email address in your address book. here it is: ***@****