STDs Community
Transmission and Sccreening of HPV

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Transmission and Sccreening of HPV

Is skin-to-skin contact enough for HPV to spread? Moreover, is an urine test for HPV accurate?
HPV is the most common STD and it is spread very easily.  Skin-to-skin contact can spread HPV.  There are no screening tests for HPV - it is usually only detected by presence of genital warts or abnormal pap smears.  There is an HPV test available now, but it does not detect all strains of HPV and is not recommended unless you have an abnormal PAP smear.  Also, there is no HPV test for men.  Hope this helps.
Best,
Em
I was diagnosed with HPV with mild dysplasia about a month ago. My doctor said that this type of HPV can clear up on its own.  I am in a relationship and before I found out about my HPV my boyfriend and I had had unprotected sex so are the chances good that he has it now if he isn't the one who gave it to me?? Also When i went to get my colposcopy my doctor found one spot which showed in the lab that it was infact mild dysplasia.  If I had the type of HPV that caused genital warts would my doctor and lab would have known???? I'm more concerned with that question because the fact that my boyfriend and I did have unprotected sex.  He knows about me having HPV and does not have any symptoms or warts and we had unprotected sex 2 months prior to me finding out i had hpv
Yes, he probably has been exposed, and if you had an HPV test done with your pap, it would identify the strains you have, and would list whether they were low or high risk.

The types that cause abnormal pap smears won't cause visible warts, and the types that cause visible warts aren't associated with cervical cancer.

Aj
Sorry I'm a little confused. So when my my pap results came back it said i had HPV with mild dysplasia and when I went back for my colposcopy that confirmed that it was HPV with mild dysplasia and that was all. During the colposcopy my doctor did find one spot that they confirmed was mild dysplasia. She put the vinagar solution to see the abnormal parts and then did the iodine  and still that was the only spot she found.  Does this mean I don't have the type with warts?? I'm just freaking out. I can deal with the HPV with mild dysplasia but the warts is another issue.
Im just worried about my boyfriend getting warts.  It makes me feel dirty and embarrassed
Why?  There is really no difference in the type of HPV you have and the type that causes warts.  Its all just different strains of the same virus.  That virus also causes warts on your arms, feet, hands, etc.  

A virus doesn't have the capacity to make you dirty.  Only not showering can make you dirty.

You should follow up with your doctor to see if the more specific HPV test was done, but the strains that cause cervical changes don't cause warts.  And remember - you could easily have gotten this from your bf as he might have from you.  You will never know.  If he gave you warts, would you want him feeling dirty and embarrassed?

Aj
Okay, I talked to my doctor and she cleared up with me that I do not have the strain of HPV that causes warts.  Since i have the strain that causes cervical changes hence the mild dysplasia that I have can my boyfriend get cancer on his penis, mouth, or throat??? Since we did have oral sex before I found out i had HPV
Oral hpv is rare, so its not something I would worry about.  Penile and oral/throat cancers are also rare.

This isn't something you need to spend time worrying about, ok?

Aj

THANKS! I've never had to deal with something like this so its kind of scary to read about stuff online.
Something like 60% of people eventually catch strains of HPV and it's almost always asymptomatic. Even if he did catch it from you and was symptomatic he would become un-symptomatic in week\month or so.

If a girl gave be a random strain of HPV, I honestly don't think I'd care or even think it worth mentioning. When I was in third grade i had HPV on my hands (warts) and they went away after a month. It's a lysogenic virus so I still have them locally (integrated into my DNA) but for all practical purpose it doesn't matter that I had it in 3rd grade.