STDs Expert Forum
Transmission from kissing...

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Transmission from kissing...
I've looked everywhere and can't seem to get a clear answer on this, is it possible to get pharyngeal gonorrhea from kissing alone?  Is is possible to have gonorrhea of the throat without "regular" gonorrhea?

About 3 1/2 weeks ago, I received unprotected oral sex.  I have NOT experienced any symptoms of gonorrhea, but I am developing a sore throat.  There was a lot of deep kissing and was I wondering what risk factor was.

Thanks in advance.
Transmission of gonorrhea by kissing has never been documented; it it happens, it is too rare to matter.  And oral gonorrhea usually is asymptomatic, so your sore throat surely is not due to gonorrhea.  Of course kissing is the best of all possible ways to transmit garden-variety cold viruses.  But that's not the explanation either, because the incubation period is a couple of days, not 3+ weeks.  Your sore throat probably is a standard upper respiratory infection unrelated to your sexual exposure.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD

what about chlamydia?  can this be passed via kissing?
No.

HHH, MD
A related discussion, chlamydia or gonorrhea was started.
A related discussion, transmission of stds through kissing was started.