STDs Expert Forum
Transmission of Genital Warts via Oral Sex

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hi Doctors,

I was diagnosed with Genital Warts back in December 2009.  My last wart was frozen on May 17, 2012.  Therefore, I have been free of warts for about 4 months and 20 days, and I was recently examined by a dermatologist to confirm this.

Between Dec 2009 and Mid May 2012, I had experienced a couple of 2 to 3 month periods where I was free of warts, but they then returned.  This means I had on and off warts for a total of about 2.5 years, which means I have had warts for a longer period of time than most people.

I have also received my first 2 shots of the Gardasil Vaccine (1st in April, 2nd in May), the third of which I will get some time this month, Oct. 2012.

My questions are the following:

1. Last night I received unprotected oral sex for about 15-30 seconds from a 21 yr old girl I know.  What are the chances I transmitted oral warts to her?  If the chances are low, can we have oral sex again guilt free?

2. We then made out, is it possible to be infected with oral warts by my own strain?

3. We then had vaginal intercourse with a condom.  Intercourse may have been about 2 and 30 seconds.  I noticed that her fluids had built up at the shaft where there was no coverage by the condom.  Immediately after intercourse, I washed the area with warm water and soap.  What are the chances I contracted an STD from her?  She said she did not have any but I know that may not be fact. What are the chances I transmitted warts to her vaginal area?

4.  Since it has taken me about 2.5 years to be clear for 4 months and 20 days, am I more susceptiable to having a reoccurence than other people who clear more quickly?

5. When, if ever, do you think I could have unprotected oral and vaginal sex, from the standpoint of not wanting to pass on genital warts to any new partner?  

6.  If for some reason I do end up with a virgin, does your opinion change about when it would be OK to have unprotected oral and vaginal sex?

Welcome back to the Forum.  You've been here many times before and thus I'll go directly to your questions.  

HPV transmission occurs less often with oral sex than with genital-genital contact and you have no visible evidence of HPV at this time making it unlikely that you have transmissible infection at this time.  I see no reason not to have oral sex.

No.

Condom protected sex is safe sex,   There is no meaningful risk for contracting the most common STDs (gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichamonas, NGU) from condom protected sex and the risk of any other, less common STD is similarly low.  Again, since there were no visible genital warts present on your penis AND it was condom covered, there is little risk of transmitting HPV to her.  (further, if she has had other sexual partners, she probably already has HPV- most people do)

There are no data to suggest that this is the case.

As we have said again and again on this site, if you have no evidence of wart recurrence 3 or more months after wart treatment, you should not worry further about transmission of warts to others.  

No.

I hope this helps.  Now with over 50 posts about warts and HPV you really need to get by your concerns about HPV.  As you know, virtually everyone has or will get HPV infection and when they do, it is just not that big a deal.  EWH