STDs Community
Treatment failure?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Treatment failure?

3 years ago I took a 4 week course of doxycycline to treat a syphilis diagnosis. The vdrl titre fell from 1:32 and now is 1:2. The doctor tested igg and Igm levels too and they were dropping too until now, the igg levels were elevated. Does anyone know why this is? I'd appreciate anything you can tell me. Do I need to be treated again?

I want to start a family but I won't unless this is resolved.
Thank you for your help
Maybe you happened to reaquire it? Once as the levels drop then you should be cured. I would follow up with your Dr.
have you been with the same partner this whole time?

have you had confirmatory tpha testing done?

do you have a penicillin allergy?

grace
Yes I've been with the same partner and we both got the same treatment. I do have a penicillin allergy. And we had the toga testing done in the beginning to confirm.
We went to the doc yesterday and he said that since the vdrl did not increase in the past 3 years we should consider ourselves cured.
But what puzzles me is the elevated igg?
Tpha not toga sorry spellcheck auto corrected it
toga testing might've been a lot more fun ;)

honestly I don't know much about the igg/igm testing for syphilis other than it can be used for  testing. It isn't widely used for that purpose .  I'm not sure how long it can be positive after being adequately treated. I recommend paying to post on the std experts forum about it for better answers.  sounds like they used the igg/igm testing instead of the tpha testing this time.  

wish I could help more :(