STDS
COMMUNITY
Trichomonas False Positive?
by MBErnie, Jun 21, 2008
I have been married for 32 years, and monogamous with my wife for 35 years.  I am 99.999% sure she has been faithful too.  Her last routine pap smear was positive for trichomonas.  I was then given a urine test, which detected no STDs. We both completed the routine AB treatment.   Although I explained my faithfulness to our GP, she explained to  my wife that it is only sexually transmitted and we should go to a marriage counselor.  Now I am the unrepentant villain in my wife's eyes, no matter what I say.  I don't use other peoples wet towels or sit in hot tubs.  Was this most likely a false positive?   If the protozoan where present but asymptomatic from 35 years ago, wouldn't it have shown up in my wife's routine pap smears?
Member Comments (41)
by auntiejessiBlank, Jun 21, 2008
Trich is a hard one to figure out.  Some people say that you can get it from hot tubs (I have a friend who swears that's how she got it), etc., but there isn't a lot of evidence to back that up.

Did they test her specifically for trich, or did her pap smear come back as "changes associated with trich"?

Trich is also hard to find in men, so its not surprising that you were negative, if your wife does have it.

There is also a chance of it being a false positive.

For me, trich wouldn't be enough evidence that my partner had cheated.  If you said she tested positive for chlamydia, and you also tested positive for it, I would be saying definitively that someone cheated.  Trich - not so much.

Aj
by MBErnie, Jun 22, 2008
Her test was just her routine pap smear, not a specific test for Trich.  I know I did not cheat, and if you knew my wife, you would bet your last dollar she didn't either.  The irony of this whole mess is it doesn't look like the marriage will survive.  I don't imagine there is a test to find out if she really had trich in the past.  We have both taken antibiotic therapy after the test.
by auntiejessiBlank, Jun 22, 2008
If this came back solely as a result from a regular pap, there is a good chance this is a false positive.

I'm so sorry for what you are going through, especially when it seems unnecessary.

aj
by Megan9543, Jul 19, 2008
I had the same problem...After I got married I went in for birth control and a regular pap, and they told me I had trich.  I said thats impossible I know my husband and I know I didn't cheat and yet I have an std????  We both went in together and they tested him and his cam eback negative for anything... we both went through the antibiotics.  The thing is.... I was a virgin when I got married and I couldnt have sex because of a thick hymen and I went to the doc and they told me I had an std..... We hadn't had sex yet because I couldn't!!!!   That proves you do not have to cheat to have an std!!!!!!!!!  I had to have surgery done to be able to have sex how lame is that haha.  But I know he didn't cheat.  I ended up with this std and I hadn't even had sex yet.   Explain that.   I hope this helps!  Good luck.
by confusedabouthim, Sep 14, 2008
i was tested  postive for trich and my husband of 5 years say he hasn;t cheated om me I know i have sleep with anyone besides him am i to believe him .  I am confused?
by auntiejessiBlank, Sep 14, 2008
Trich is hard to explain sometimes.  There are people say that you can get it from hot tubs (I have a friend who swears that's how she got it), towels, etc., but there isn't a lot of evidence to back that up.

How were you tested for this?  If you can find out the name of the test, I can help figure out how accurate it is.

Aj
by confusedabouthim, Sep 15, 2008
it was determined when i went to c doc about what i thought wuz a yeast infection in whhich he said i also had uti as well. i got pap smear and cuklture done. im still confused?
by auntiejessiBlank, Sep 15, 2008
I don't know what to say about it.  Its possible your husband cheated, but its also possible he didn't.

I can't advise you about your marriage - you know him, we don't.

Aj
by RETIRED2TV, Sep 19, 2008
I ALSO TOOK A PAP SMEAR & WAS TOLD I HAD TRICH AND MY HUSBAND SWEARS HE'S BEEN FAITHFUL. THIS WHOLE THING IS TEARING MY MARRIAGE APART AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE.  I'VE CALLED MY DOC WITH SEVERAL QUESTIONS AND KEEP GETTING TOLD I HAD TO GET THIS FROM MY HUSBAND ONLY. I JUST HAD A HYSTERECTOMY IN JAN AND WASN'T POSITIVE THEN SO COULD DOC BE WRONG?