STDs Community
Trichomonas False Positive?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Trichomonas False Positive?

I have been married for 32 years, and monogamous with my wife for 35 years.  I am 99.999% sure she has been faithful too.  Her last routine pap smear was positive for trichomonas.  I was then given a urine test, which detected no STDs. We both completed the routine AB treatment.   Although I explained my faithfulness to our GP, she explained to  my wife that it is only sexually transmitted and we should go to a marriage counselor.  Now I am the unrepentant villain in my wife's eyes, no matter what I say.  I don't use other peoples wet towels or sit in hot tubs.  Was this most likely a false positive?   If the protozoan where present but asymptomatic from 35 years ago, wouldn't it have shown up in my wife's routine pap smears?
Trich is a hard one to figure out.  Some people say that you can get it from hot tubs (I have a friend who swears that's how she got it), etc., but there isn't a lot of evidence to back that up.

Did they test her specifically for trich, or did her pap smear come back as "changes associated with trich"?

Trich is also hard to find in men, so its not surprising that you were negative, if your wife does have it.

There is also a chance of it being a false positive.

For me, trich wouldn't be enough evidence that my partner had cheated.  If you said she tested positive for chlamydia, and you also tested positive for it, I would be saying definitively that someone cheated.  Trich - not so much.

Aj
Her test was just her routine pap smear, not a specific test for Trich.  I know I did not cheat, and if you knew my wife, you would bet your last dollar she didn't either.  The irony of this whole mess is it doesn't look like the marriage will survive.  I don't imagine there is a test to find out if she really had trich in the past.  We have both taken antibiotic therapy after the test.
If this came back solely as a result from a regular pap, there is a good chance this is a false positive.

I'm so sorry for what you are going through, especially when it seems unnecessary.

aj
I had the same problem...After I got married I went in for birth control and a regular pap, and they told me I had trich.  I said thats impossible I know my husband and I know I didn't cheat and yet I have an std????  We both went in together and they tested him and his cam eback negative for anything... we both went through the antibiotics.  The thing is.... I was a virgin when I got married and I couldnt have sex because of a thick hymen and I went to the doc and they told me I had an std..... We hadn't had sex yet because I couldn't!!!!   That proves you do not have to cheat to have an std!!!!!!!!!  I had to have surgery done to be able to have sex how lame is that haha.  But I know he didn't cheat.  I ended up with this std and I hadn't even had sex yet.   Explain that.   I hope this helps!  Good luck.
i was tested  postive for trich and my husband of 5 years say he hasn;t cheated om me I know i have sleep with anyone besides him am i to believe him .  I am confused?
Trich is hard to explain sometimes.  There are people say that you can get it from hot tubs (I have a friend who swears that's how she got it), towels, etc., but there isn't a lot of evidence to back that up.

How were you tested for this?  If you can find out the name of the test, I can help figure out how accurate it is.

Aj
it was determined when i went to c doc about what i thought wuz a yeast infection in whhich he said i also had uti as well. i got pap smear and cuklture done. im still confused?
I don't know what to say about it.  Its possible your husband cheated, but its also possible he didn't.

I can't advise you about your marriage - you know him, we don't.

Aj
I ALSO TOOK A PAP SMEAR & WAS TOLD I HAD TRICH AND MY HUSBAND SWEARS HE'S BEEN FAITHFUL. THIS WHOLE THING IS TEARING MY MARRIAGE APART AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE.  I'VE CALLED MY DOC WITH SEVERAL QUESTIONS AND KEEP GETTING TOLD I HAD TO GET THIS FROM MY HUSBAND ONLY. I JUST HAD A HYSTERECTOMY IN JAN AND WASN'T POSITIVE THEN SO COULD DOC BE WRONG?
My wife of 5 years just told me yesterday that she has Trich. She recently gave birth to our second daughter (about 2 months ago) and had a routine pap smear done. She was told by her doctor yesterday that she has Trich and that the only way to get it was via sexual intercourse. I know I have been 100 percent faithful to her since we started dating over 6 years ago. She says she has been 100 percent faithful as well. She is very sad and mad with me. I am really freaking out right now. Her last pap smear in November (in the beginning of the pregnancy) showed nothing. She had sex with one other person before me and that was like 10 years ago. What am I to do. I love my wife and two daughters more than anything in this world. She is scheduled for a retake test in 2 weeks. Is there any proof out there that you can get trich from anything else? I need something. We had a great marriage until now and we trusted each other 100 percent.
As AJ has said people claim to have gotten it from other sources. I don't think there has been much study on it, so I doubt that you will find anything.

My only suggestion is possibly post a question on the Dr's form and see what they have to say about trich from other sources. I trust their word over any other Dr I have ever read.
I'm in a similar situation. My partner and I have been together for 11 years. We are each other's first and only partners. I was experiencing some symptoms (discharge, itching, painful intercourse) and went in for a pap. When my lab results came back the doctor told me that I was negative for gonohorrea and chlamydia, but prescribed doxycycline and vandazole for the inflammation in my cervix. Those did not help my symptoms and I didn't feel like my doctor was very helpful. So I went to an OB-GYN to get a second opinion. She looked at my previous lab results and told me that Trichomonas was identified. Not sure why my previous doc didn't say anything about that. The OB-GYN said that my symptoms were conducive to trich, but took a culture to confirm and would call me with the lab results. In the meantime, she prescribed metranidazole, which has been helping. The culture lab results came back negative.

So how is it that my pap smear tested positive for Trichomonas, but my culture tested negative?? I was more confused then ever. I called my OB-GYN, who told me it could have been a lab error and apologized, but told me the most important thing was that my partner also get tested and treated. Which he will be doing.

There is no reason for me to believe that my partner was ever unfaithful, but it's rationally the very first thing that pops into your mind because it IS sexually transmitted. I would probably question your wife's intelligence if she DIDN'T question your fidelity. I know there is a possibility to contract the disease in other ways, but it's rare according to articles I've found. But, then again, not enough scientific research has been done to really know for sure.

I am still trying to figure out how in the world I could've gotten trich and debating over how this will effect my relationship. Really, my only advice is to ask your wife to  get a second opinion with a more accurate test (the margin of error to identify trich in a pap smear is high...or at least high enough!). Maybe a culture or PCR test, which appears to be more accurate? The only thing she really can do to resolve this for herself is to trust her instincts about you and your relationship with her, whether that be positive or negative.

Good luck!
I went to the Emergency Room on New Years Eve afternoon because I had severe abdominal pain, but I did not have bleading, itching, or Vaginal Discharge, and I still don't. The Dr. did a pelvic exam and took cultures and an hour later when the results of my cultures came back, she told me I was positive for Trichomonas.
Also, I just started using the Nuva Ring a month ago and have done my own research online and found out the Nuva Ring can cause severe abdominal pain as well. I've also heard that Birth Control can cause False-Positive results of some tests.
Neither myself or my partner have been unfaithful, we're together every moment of the day for the most part. Neither of us have any symptoms either, aside from my abdominal pain.
Is it possible that the Dr. got False-Positive results of my cultures due to my use of Birth Control, or that she mis diagnosed the reason for my abdominal pain?
Its possible, but you and your partner should be treated just in case.

How long have you all been together?  Its also possible one of you had this before, and you wouldn't have known if you hadn't had the Nuva Ring cause some problems.

Aj
We're only been sexually active together for almost a year now, but we've know each other for years as close friends. He had not been sexually active with anyone for 8 months to a year before we got together. I had just gotten out of a almost 4 year relationship a couple of months before we first had intercourse together, but I had not slept with my ex for quite a few months before that relationship ended.
We have also both been tested for STDs' a couple times since we've been together. We've both had cultures (I'm not sure if that's what they call it for males as well) done and nothing has shown up. I never even heard of this STD until I got the positive result 3 days ago. That's why it's so hard for us to believe that it wasn't a false-positive result. How could they have missed it when I was tested before? And if one of us had it prior to having intercourse with each other, you would think that one of us would have had some kind of symptoms by now. I read, I believe it was on here, that it only takes 4 - 28 days after contracting the disease  to show symptoms.
On another note, it's a shame this has caused so many peoples' relationships to end or cause problems. I'm lucky I'm with someone  as understanding as he is and he's willing to work through this with me even if it is a true-positive result. We both plan to call each of our last sexual partner before we were first with each other. I hope the best for all of you that has been tested positive, hopefully you and your partner can work through it together. Any STD can really scare you, and that's when you truly need the love, understanding, and support of your partner.
Given the circumstances, I'd say its a good chance its a false positive, but you are smart to treat it, in case.

Aj
I know that you can get Trich without having sex. I have recently been diagnosed with trich. I remeber when I first start having discharge, I dont want to sound bad but I was doing allot of runing errand that week.Most times when I am on my cycle  I switch between pads and tampons but this particular week I only wore tampons. This is unual for me. Any way I noticed the minute my cycle was over  I was having discharge. My husband and I at the time had not had sex in two weeks I waited a week thinking this was sometime that would pass. After it didnt I went in to the Emer room. I was told I had Trich but funny thing the doctor said he said 70 year old women who are not having any sex come in and test positive for Trich. He said years ago doctors believed it to be only sexually transmitted but they are now finding that a woman can get it without sex. Un cleaness, gardening, they really dont know how but more and more cases are from people that are not even having sex.Oh and my husband swear he has not cheated( I believe him) He also tested negative for Trich. I have not cheated either.

Although people do cheat. I am confidence that some cases like mine are not fromsex
People do not get trich from gardening or uncleanliness.  This is a sexually transmitted infection.

It is, however, possible that you or your husband had it for a long time without knowing it.

I have not had sex for two years, I took my pap test and it said it was normal but i tested for trich. I told my doctor that was imposible because I was not having sex. She said that its possible that it came from somewhere else. trich is not just an std. there is other ways to get it. Everybody want you to beleive its onlt sexually transmitted. I told her I was not taking any medicine, I was coming back in for her to retest me she did a culture in her office and told me she saw trich, but my cultures as well as the pap test came back Negative. I'm scheduled for another culture in two weeks. My belief is that she is seeing blood from my menstrual cycle. because she told me blood and semen looks like trich. I know it is not semen because I have not had sex. I did however have my mentrual a few days before the exam.
i am 30 and i have had only 3 partners. my first is the only to every give me an std, in which he did give me trich at the beginning of our relationship. a year after we broke up and with in 1yr a had 2 more partners this all took place between 1998-2002. in 2002 and 2 i began my abstinence and was until i got married in 2007. during the second year of abstinence i went for a yearly and they told me i have trich. i don't NOT have any sexual contact. i was divorced in 2010 and stated my abstinence once again june of that year. went for a check that fall after have a pap 6mons prier that showed no trich but was abnormal. i go in have my followup and they say i have trich. i have NOT had sex.6mons later i have another pap everything looks good,so again,i go in for my last 6mon pap which was this past week. the same question they always ask, do you have birth control? i replay yes ABSTINENCE. three days later i get a call saying you have trich get you meds and tell your partner, i say. but i dont have a partner. nurse replies its ONLY transmitted thru sex. I reiterate I DO NO HAVE ANY KIND OF SEX WITH ANYBODY! nurse replies will make sure you take your meds and tell your partner.....OMGSH.....I DO NOT HAVE A PARTNER AND I DO NOT HAVE SEX!!!!!!!! i am NOT lying and just because they have not found another reason doesn't mean there isn't one. any other time they have told me that i have a std and to tell my partner, i said ok sure will very angrily might i add, but these three occasions i can not say that cause once again. I HAD/HAVE NO PARTNER, DONT DRINK, DONT SMOKE, DONT DO DURGS, DONT EVEN GO TO CLUBS. HELP FIND AND ANSWER PLEZ.
you probably had it the whole time.  It can easily be missed on pap smears and often you have no symptoms so you could go years or even decades without realizing you have it
I had a similar thing happen to me.  I went in for my annual pap.  My gyn told me I had Trich and that it could only be contracted by sexual contact. I told her I had not had a sex partner for over 5 years.  How in the heck did I get it?  This has been over two years ago and I am still wondering.  I asked several doctors and they all said the same thing.
just this past weekend on my bf went in to check on a possible broken finger. he was asked to do a urinalysis that came back positive for trich. now of course i was the first person he called and this started a storm of he say she say and loads of mistrust. my solution was to get myself check and i did that same day. my result~negative. he was dumbfounded and i felt like i had caught him cheating. because he was adamant that he was faithful he went to the hospital the very next morning. his results~negative for trich. however he did test positive for a bacterial infection that he was told under certain tests could give a false positive for trich. hope this helps.
What is your background? I didn't realize this was so common. I am going through a similar situation. I recently had a routine pap and subsequent call from my doctor to pick up antibiotic for trichomonas. I have been with the same guy for the last two years and I too am very confused. I have been searching high and low for answers. Our relationship is suffering now from trust issues on both sides.
I have been with my husband for over 9 years and we have never had any unfaithfullness in out relationship.  I get my annual pap smears and that always come back good.  A feww weeks ago I get my annual pap smear and my doctor telles me it is normal but I have trich,  I was shocked, I could not believe it, I had no clue what it was.  I call my husbadn and told him and we both started doing research online.  I have no ideal how I could have gotten it and I am 100 percent my husband did not cheat.  From reading other peoples stories I am glad I did not accuse him.  There is evidently something that doctors do not know about this std because I jave read so many post that are similar to mines.  It is just strange and the doctors all say it is only sexually transmitted, but how did I get it in the first place.  I had no syptoms (symptoms) and got diagnose during a regular pap exam.  I am wondering if mines was a false posistve.  I am tkaing the medicine and my husband is going to get tested also.  
I just got diagnosed with Trich today :(  I have been faithful to my husband for 9 years and I am  100% certain he has been faithful. I have been doing a ton of reading and while I am not seeing anything about it laying dormant, I am seeing many posts about possibly getting it from sources other than sex. There has got to be some research on this and get the facts out to the public. My husband is currently not speaking to me because he thinks I cheated.
Start a tread dedicated to your question and it will be answered.
I am amazed because me and my hubby having the same problem......im clean for 5 yrs then all of a sudden im diagnosed with trich.  It has to be transmitted through another way than sex.
Start your own thread and your question will be answered.
I too was diagnosed with Trick from a routine pap smear.  The reason for this diagnosis was because of inflammation.  I was so certain that I didn't have it, that the doctor had me come back and did a visual diagnosis that confirmed no evidence of Trick.  So everyone, I would say "Yes" it is possible to be diagnosed falsely with Trick.
I think all of these people are telling the truth about not cheating. My 71 year old mother went to the ER tonight, because she ws having stomach and joint pain, nausea and vomiting. Turns out she had a bladder infection. But on top of that, when they did other tests, said she had trich. My mother had a boyfriend of 20 years, but he is impotent. They have not had sex in many years. My mother tried to tell them it was impossible, they wanted to talk to her in "private". She said she didn't need to, and had nothing to hide. I know my mother us telling the truth. Her and the boyfriend live with me and my children, and have for years. My mother is disabled due to severe arthritis, and walks with a cane. She has problems getting around, and doesn't even feel like having sex anymore. I am angry because they acted like my mother was lying. So I want to know how she got this? There should be more research on this. She couldn't get it from anyone in the house either, it is just me and the kids. My husband left us 8 years ago, so I have not had sex myself during that time, as I have not had a boyfriend. So there goes the "wet towel" possibility. The only other things we can think of, is a visitor got it on our toilet seat? Or someone used one of our towels without knowing it, and then my mother used the towel? Or public toilet seat? My mother doesn't go to hot tubs, or swimming pools. She does to walmart and kroger once in awhile, and has used the public rest rooms. But everyone says you can't get it from a toilet seat. So what is up with this?
I have been tested positive for trich and the first thing i thought was that my boyfriend must have cheated. i talked to him about the results and i was very upset that in 39 years i have never had something like this. He had no problem in getting tested so he went the next day and got treated. his test came back today and were negative. How can this be possible? We had sex a couple of days before my test. I went in because i had bleed during sex so we got worried that i might have a tubal pregnancy or something else. Its just unexplainable and we want answers. we have both been faithful. And if its a sexually transmitted disease why doesnt he have it, we have had sex for over a year now.
Does anyone know how to answer DBED14 He was tested through urine and blood sample, she was tested as a regular pap smear screening because of discharge and bleeding with intercourse. Both have been treated with Flagyl but are very confused with the boyfriends results. They have been sexually active with each other for over a year and had sex prior to her testing. If someone can please expalin if they have had this issue.
Start your own thread
Same story. My partner goes in for her pap & 5 days later here comes the Trick. Next comes the flying dish past my head, false accusations about my fidelity and mental abuse imprisonment for something I have never heard of and am Totally Innocent. Swearing on the Bible didn't cure it either.
My turn: I called her nurse and took down her name because I have a serious problem when supposed medical professionals make blanket statements like “ the only way you get trichomoniasis is through sex.”  The next morning I have a Tinadazole prescription in my face and an expectation for me to take it. I refused. Instead, I immediately got in to my doctor for a urine test before any STD drug could have any effect on the results. My doctor with 20+ years experience also explained to my partner that from his experience, Pap Smears often give False Positive results. Specific further sampling / testing should be completed for confirmation.
Trichomoniasis is one if not the most common of the STD's. It is easily cured with a simple prescription. There lies a seperate problem in that quick diagnosis and easy cure for every so-called medical professional, in that, you are totally ignorant of the mental and emotional consequences stated in all the above posts. “ Maam, you have trick so your partner is cheating on you. Also, we will be open late tonight should your husband get hit by a flying plate.”