STDs Expert Forum
UTI or STD?
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

UTI or STD?

A brief summary.  On 1/28/09 I had unprotected oral and unprotected vaginal intercourse with a CSW at a massage parlour.  After, I immediately became concerned.  The worker stated she did not have any STDs and "usually" used condoms - but who knows.

24 hours later, I went to Dr.  He gave me a shot (not sure what it's called, but it was in the bum).  He also prescribed 2 500mg tablets of Azithromycin.  Dr also ran tests on urine which came back negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea, but the sample was only taken 24hrs after exposure.  Approx 4-5 days after taking the antibiotics, I engaged in intercourse with my wife.

I have not had any noticeable symptoms of any STD (maybe 1 day where it seemed to burn a little when I had to pee, but not very noticeable).  5 weeks after this exposure, my wife began to complain of burning when peeing.  She has had a couple of UTIs in the past.  She took Azo tablet for the symptoms, so the Dr's office was not able to read the sample very well.  They said they did a culture, and it showed positive for an infection.  She was prescribed 1 weeks supply of Bactrim, and her symptoms have seemed to disappear.  My questions are:

1.  How reliable would the tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia be 24 hrs after exposure?

2.  If I did contract one or both during this encounter, how effective would the antibiotics I was given have cleared the infection?  Would the infection have been gone within the 4-5 days I waited to have sex with my wife?

3.  Does the fact that the Bactrim has seemed to clear up the symptoms point to UTI vs some type of bacterial STD?  Would the culture the doctor's office did have showed chlamydia or gonorrhea even with the effect of the Azo tablet?

Thanks in advance for your time.